Shop Says Trans Tail Housing Unsalvageable

0r0B210

I'm in San Diego.  If anyone knows a trustworthy shop or mechanic with a location that is down to fix this or offer some type of networking towards obtaining a 4spd trans that'll fit behind an A series engine PLEASE REACH OUT TO ME!!!!! I consider this an emergency due to the fact I cannot pay to store my Datsun at the shop it currently sits in so I need to find this transmission housing tail piece, whole transmission, or a better shop to get this thing over with.  Anyone, that can help in any way is greatly appreciated.  GREATLY.

Photos are of the unsalvageable tail housing.  Still has bushing installed but it wiggles around very easily which makes the mechanic tell me the housing itself is damaged.  There is no bearing in there to replace.  I guess it is solid metal, then that thing bushing, then to driveshaft.  I thought there was a replaceable bearing in between the trans housing and the bushing. But, they are telling me that this is not the case.  CAN ANYONE HELP PLEASE?  Thanks all, for being here.

IMG_1634.jpeg

IMG_1635.jpeg

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thanks Mike, for the part number.

Mechanic says the bad bushing snarled or chewed away where the bushing is installed and the whole tail housing needs to be replaced.  Changing the bushing will do nothing, hence the need for the whole darned thing.  

Thanks again for the part number.

Dang.  I was hoping there would be a bearing in there that can be pressed/pulled out.  I thought they were messing with me.  My little '76 B has been such an experience, lol. Both with mechanics and the parts for the car.

Edited by 0r0B210

You could check on Datsun Parts & Needs on facebook

https://www.facebook.com/groups/TheZGang

This also sounds promising:

My friend found that Federal Mogul part # FP2204Y can be a good repair for damaged tail housing bushings. It is a few thousands of an inch bigger diameter, so it will easily press into your tail housing, even one where the bushing is pounded out, but will stay in place.

The FP2204Y is really a piston pin bushing for large diesel engines. You will have to drill and chamfer a second oil hole and with a Dremmel tool, you will have to cut spiral oil grooves. Copy the patten on your old bushing. [Drill the oil hole before installation. Then cut the oil grooves after installation. Clamp the tailhousing in a bench vice.]

ONCE installed you will notice that it is too small of a diameter for your slip yoke. Use an adjustable ream to size it to your slip yoke, or use a high speed, soft rotating abrasive drum wheel. A brake cylinder hone will work, but you will be honing for 24 hours or longer. You are at the proper size when a slip yoke will fall freely into the tailhousing. I put the tailhousing vertical and let the slip yoke fall. Be sure NOT to use a slip yoke that is worn undersized.

FP2204Y is 50% longer than a stock bushing, so there is more support area for the drive shaft (prop shaft) slip yoke. Stock oil seal works fine.

They are available on-line and inexpensive.

On 10/20/2021 at 8:04 PM, thisismatt said:

You could check on Datsun Parts & Needs on facebook

https://www.facebook.com/groups/TheZGang

This also sounds promising:

I think my little brother tried this repair but I don't remember if it was successful or not. 

• 4 months later...