Backup Light Switch on my 620

Tried to pull info on replacing my backup light switch on my 620 truck, I did not find any info. If I pull the switch out of the tranny, will the tranny oil drain out and or any other internal parts. Believe retro tranny is out of a 200sx (Dog Leg 5 Speed). Any help would be greatly appreciated, Peace All.

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

6 hours ago, B-rads PL620 said:

Tried to pull info on replacing my backup light switch on my 620 truck, I did not find any info. If I pull the switch out of the tranny, will the tranny oil drain out and or any other internal parts. Believe retro tranny is out of a 200sx (Dog Leg 5 Speed). Any help would be greatly appreciated, Peace All.

XtbYc8I.jpg

R....2....4

NNNNN

A dogleg has reverse above first shift pattern. It's also 26" long and has a smooth case. If not it's not a dogleg. If you have a dogleg swapped in you probably have a '73 620 as the transmission it replaces was also 26" long. All other years were 31.5". The reverse switch is on the first/reverse shift rod which is higher in the transmission that the other two so it is very unlikely to leak any oil. If you raise the car on the right side even better.

Thanks, good to know, and she is very much babied, her hard days are behind her, not to say she has lost a step, but very much not driven hard at all. Just finished sand blasting/Painting the headlight buckets, they had seen better times, look good now, working on pic’s guys, thanks all for all the help and info, Peace to all.

• Like 1

Hello all, pulled the backup light switch out of the 620, with no oil leaking out (nice). Upon a close inspection of the switch, it’s no wonder it was blowing my 10 amp fuse, power lead shorted to ground. Repaired and insulated the terminals and reinstalled, Backup up lights now working (again nice), now I have all running light working on the old girl. So nice to be seen at night. And replaced the front turn signal bulbs with an a LED Bulb, as well as the rear break lights with an LED Bulb. They really help with improving the dim incandescent bulbs. Again thanks all for the help. Took pics will try and post.

I used the Sylvania 1157 Super Bright LED Bulbs for both my front turn signals, my front turn signals use just one bulb so required the 1157 configuration (2 filaments/bulb). I also used the 1157 for my rear break lights. I had to use a Dremel to round the base corners of the bulb to fit light sockets, which was very easy to do, bulbs fit very nicely after rounding the corners. Operation was a nice surprise as the rear tail lights, using the LED for the break light and incandescent for the running lights gives me a sequential flash, which looks really cool. I replaced the thermo flasher units with just basic heavy duty flasher from auto zone, nothing special, old thermo flasher were worn out, hazard flasher worked for about 3 flashes then stayed lit, so I am not sure if my application would work with those old flasher units, mine were bad so I replaced with the auto zone units prior to the LED bulb installation. I will be replacing the back up light bulbs with a 1156 LED bulb as they are a single filament bulb, now that my rear back up lights are working. It was a nice surprise on how well they have been working, lights are bright even in daylight. OF SPECIAL NOTE: These LED Lights come and should be used in specific colors, White for White, Red for Red and Amber for Amber, as they are they are not like incandescent with a full color spectrum, they are specific spectrum lights White for White, Red for Red, you get the point. Also, have ran for length of time with no noticeable heat build up.

lastly the power consumption of the LED’s is much lower than the incandescents helping with the low output alternator. Overall I am very please at this time with the application, time will tell all with this mod. Hope this helps.

On 10/27/2021 at 10:28 AM, Stoffregen Motorsports said:

Brake lights don't require any special mods, but I know the flashers might act weird depending on the LED. Do yours work like they are supposed to?

We use Novita brand part #EL12 heavy duty electronic flashers (not original contact point style) in ALL of our classic car repairs/builds, in BOTH turnsignal & hazard (cuz iirc the turnsignal circuit runs THRU the hazard circuit on Datsun's), as long as the original flashers are 2 terminal.  Novita makes a 3 terminal, but don't know the part #!  We just installed both in a 1970 240Z the other day, fixed the "slow flash" issue! 😎

• Like 1