2.4L20b crank question

Datsun_SME

Hey guys and girls.  I’m in the process of building the 2.4 L20b. L20b block bored to 89mm, z24 pistons, L20b rods. I have the z24 crank at the machine shop to get cut down for the clearance but now I’m wondering if I can just use the stock L20b crank with the above listed parts and just have bored 2.4 L20b (that way there is not so much side force on the rods) or will that mess up the piston deck height?  Will it sit to low because the stock L20b crank has less of a stroke? Thanks guys. Or z22 crank no cutting down?

• Replies 1
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

L20B crank and rod with Z24 piston. Well the only thing changed is the piston and pin height. The L is 38.1mm the Z24 pin height is 34mm so this means that at TDC 1/2 the stroke 43mm + L20B rod 145.9mm + 34mm Z24 piston pin height is... 222.9mm or 4.95mm extra space above the piston that adds 56 cubic centimeters to the combustion chamber. Increasing the combustion chamber lowers the compression. To about 5.7. 

The only difference between the L20B and the Z24 blocks on the outside are...

The Z24 is 2cm or 3/4" taller. Pretty hard to see and why would you check if it's in a 521 and has an L series engine?

The engine ID is on the driver's side. Only if looking will it not be there. Maybe it's painted over?

The dip stick is an the driver's side. Can be moved to the L series location behind the starter.

Get a Z24 block for all the Z24 parts. L heads fit. Lengthen timing chain 4 links. Instant L24B

QwwzFYW.jpg

Z24 w/ U67 L head. (note dipstick) Ports both gasket matched and honed out.

Engine ID is stamped on that boss below the middle two exhaust ports

afpCKaB.jpg

Four links is all you need really. Use Z24 head gasket with old L series front around the sprocket. Rusty cam? it's just the mock up head.