620 swap and parts questions

Meanjoegreen83

Ok so be got a ‘76 620 I’m looking at 4 swap options I am looking at.   

LQ9 ls 6.0L.   (Already have and would think it would work good)(gas mileage not so much)

gm 3800 (already have and measurements are spot on so it will fit)(better gas millage can be turboed for cheap)(also have supercharger for)

4.3 vortex (very reliable cheap (don’t have but have many parts for).( Can fit with a little shoe horning)( 17-25 mpg) 

k20a4 honda motor (don’t have but power for fuel economy is the best) has a great community for sourcing problems I’ve owned a few will fit with a trans adapter 

would like any and all feed back not doing a ka24de because mo powa baby but this is a full build truck as most of the truck is rusted away      Thanks yall

12071C29-9BF4-4060-B952-EF7BA3A309D6.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

22 hours ago, Meanjoegreen83 said:

LQ9 ls 6.0L.   (Already have and would think it would work good)(gas mileage not so much) - LQ9 is a truck based motor and the accessory drive is longer than a car based LS3. Plus the intake is taller. Iron block is heavy, but so what. Lots of potential and lots of swap parts available. Swap to a Corvette accessory drive, intake and add electric fans to gain clerance. I'll give it an 8 out of 10 for swap points.

gm 3800 (already have and measurements are spot on so it will fit)(better gas millage can be turboed for cheap)(also have supercharger for) - 3800 is a great engine, and nothing like the 3.8L it replaced, but the 165 to 200hp it puts out is not great. A simple KA24E can easily make more than that. You may also run into transmission adapter problems. Its compact design and relatively modern engine management put it at about 7 out of 10 for swap points.

4.3 vortex (very reliable cheap (don’t have but have many parts for).( Can fit with a little shoe horning)( 17-25 mpg) - I freaking hate this motor. Yes, Vortec heads and injection made the regular 4.3 a much better engine, but it's still basically 7/8 the weight of a SBC with only half the horsepower. 4 out of 10 points.

k20a4 honda motor (don’t have but power for fuel economy is the best) has a great community for sourcing problems I’ve owned a few will fit with a trans adapter - Nope. 0 out of 10. This is a Honda motor. Doesn't belong in a Datsun. I'd rather have a built L motor under the hood. Or even a KA24 of any variety. KA motors can make 300-400hp reliably, and naturally aspirated L motors can make 240+ (but will cost an arm and a leg). At least with a Datsun / Nissan engine you would be able to connect with the Datsun community.

• Like 2

3800. 25,000,000 made. Makes 200hp all day no sweat and 300hp with supercharger. Use S 10 5 speed. KA has to work HARD and ALL the TIME, to equal the 3800. 3800 will have monstrous low speed torque from the displacement.

4.3 ok but still a boat anchor.

Honda is just a half breed, no one will talk to you or like you for it.

LQ9 just wrong like a Honda.

Getting ahead of yourself.  Like talking about the sick rims and tires that will go on it. Get body in shape and painted. Interior. Up-grade the brakes* and suspension first. Maybe front coil over shock and cut the torsion bars and cross brace out of the way.

*Better to decelerate faster than accelerate. Four wheel drums? you've got some work to do.

• Like 1

That’s the thing it has the l motor in it hood was off of the truck for 10 years before I got it. And if you can break the motor free you can have it     Secondly I’ve decided on the 3800 and yes at factory parts and with obs 1 they only make 180-300 home how’ever you may set them up.  

but with 

-cam

-turbo/supercharger 
-springs

-micro squirt ecu

-forged rods and pistons 

-and the removal of the balance shaft 

they can comfortably make 5-600. It’s about knowing how to build your car and tune it 

and if it wasn’t for the truck having sentimental value and also being rare in my area   I would but I got it to build  not to throw together if this was about looking pretty and shiny I would have got a Porsche 911 or a 69 nova 

Well if you can afford a 911 or a 69 Nova (I'd rather have a 70 Chevelle myself), this project shouldn't be a problem. Also sounds like you've got some experience building engines, which also puts you ahead of the rest.

The 3800 is a good motor, and not the worst choice for a swap. Good luck.

• Like 1

oh and about the brakes i already have that covered    i have a whole d21 pars truck that is my suspension donor and Sheetmetal donor for the truck. 

truck allready has the rearend from the d21 witch has the lsd from the pathfinder and will be swapping the rest out when my new floor pans get here and i get them welded up and pull the cab

• Like 1

image.jpg

You can copy pasta the image directly into the post. 

That is part of the core support and not something that is easy to find by itself. 
Replacing the core support entirely is likely an easier job and it looks like that core support isn't that far behind that piece rust wise. 

• 2 weeks later...