My 620 Build

RyanC

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

When I got my 710 sedan I had to drive it home about 60-70 miles. It went maybe 10 miles and quit. I knew from the way it stopped that it had run out of gas... which was impossible so I disconnected the filter and gave it a shake. A rusty mud color liquid dribbled out. Hooked back up and drove anther 20 this time so I repeated this and again once more to get home. Put a new filter on and within a week it was plugged. I took the tank out, drained into a bucket, removed the fragile sender and threw a couple of double hand fulls of clean driveway gravel in and rolled and shook it to dislodge all the rust inside.  Emptied it and rinsed out with garden hose let it dry in the hot sun the rest of the day. The old red brown gas I funneled through a new filter and it came out the end like new. Never had another problem with it.

WGaI7gx.jpg

Some of the shit in the tank...

KyVcLds.jpg

You may have to do this. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Pulled the top of the carby and she is pretty dirty!!!!

Will do  a scrub with tooth brush and some petrol and pull and clean as much as possible.

I am pretty sure the main jets were 110/130 

This seems way to small for the l20.  

Broke the gasket so will get a kit for when I put back together.

Havn't checked the screen bet it is blocked and will do a float height check.

20220210_190656.jpg

Edited by RyanC
  • Like 1

So working on other areas while waiting for the carby kit to turn up.  I have washers but no cap nuts? I assume i can use any standard nut for these until I find some proper ones?

Have to work through the wiring as no headlights i have front parkers...no indicators but it has custom rear bumper and lights from another car.  Probably all there as it seems some one had a decent head on them as everything is re wrapped and tidy.

Also it seems the secondary barrel isn't kicking in properly.  Will pull it off and have a look but does all the linkages just operate with the correct tension from the nut?  Mine is an older style linkage which has 2 parts.

The inside linkage with the flat top circled moves before the one that seems it should push it along which would then enable/drive the secondary linkage.  Will remove them all they seem orientated correctly but not operating as I would expect.

Secondary moves freely when operated on its own.

3226carb_linkgage.JPG

• 2 months later...

So been chasing fuel problems with my truck.  Carb has been scrubbed and carb cleaner sprayed everywhere, come up good.  Carb kit arrived so replaced accelrator pump, power valve, any gaskets/orings/seals etc etc.  The secondary and accelerator pump issues was my hose clamp for the water hosed to the manifold was fouling the accelreator pump level doh!!  Fixed that one.  I had already tested fuel pump and I was getting fuel into a container after the pump.  Then after sorting carb...nothing grrrr replaced filter, fuel is coloured but filter not full of gunk.

So blew on the hose back to the tank and I can't push any air/hear bubbles nothing.  Removed supply hose from tank to the hard lines and nothing is running out of the tank outlet and can't blow into it.  Pushed some nylon trimmer line in and goes in around the bend and then hard stop. Hmm is there a filter on the end of the pickup inside?

I can blow in the breathers and this seems all okay.

Didn't want to pull the tank but looks like this is the next step, but not sure once pulled can I get in or is it a drain and flush job once removed.  I can try the old compressor trick but thinking after this best to rinse it out yeah??

Any photos of the innards of one of these tanks?  

My tank has a breather on top front and rear with a Y pipe.  Fuel outlet is on the RHS below the tank split line faces forward.  Sender plug unit at the rear top of the tank.

This should be the last step in getting her runningfingers crossed.

On 2/17/2022 at 8:18 AM, RyanC said:

Windshield wipers.

Sounds silly any photos of windsheild wipers.  Especially the caps/nuts?  I bought some for a 120y here in Australia, the screw on but the outside diameter appears to big.  Bummer!!

I could run them down on the lathe but need to make sure they do the job properly.

So with some help we got the tank out.  Front nuts and bolts were well rusted into place. 

Seems the pickup is jammed into the bottom.  Looks like she has had a hit to the underside at some point.   Figure will wash her out.  Fill with water and cut a hole near to pickup as possible.  Then sort out and weld back up.  Might weld in small surge tank ish or something.

20220425_180252.jpg

20220425_180241.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Cut a hole or 2 or 3  in the tank tonight with the stepper drill.  Pickup was blocked solid.  Ran a 1/8 drill in and grime and crap came out was wetter the furthest in.  Found some flexible cable here will cut it short as its too long to be practical and see if I can get it sorted.

Not the best pick but you can see the underside blocked.

Screenshot_20220504-204245_Gallery.jpg

• Like 1
7 hours ago, Crashtd420 said:

You can always just replace the pickup tube with this.....

You Just need to weld an Npt plug in its place, cut the pickup tube to  length and thread it in....

Then just add the appropriate nipple for your fuel line....

Screenshot_20220504-090508_eBay.jpg

Thanks Crash.  I figured there would be a way to replace if need be.  Other thought was welding sump to underside and put pickup in that but will see how we go. 

Question is the td420 related to a Nissan 4.2 diesel?

On 4/25/2022 at 1:32 AM, RyanC said:

20220425_180241.jpg

The line from the tank to pump is at the bottom right. The one up by the sender is the fuel return line. Why are they connected???

This is a J15 engine? Maybe there is no return? The return pipe does not go to the bottom of the tank like the pickup pipe. Doesn't is suck air when the level drops?

Hey Mike

It was a J15 has an l20 in it ...all works by previous owner.  

No return ...pickup is down the side..they just used both top pipes for the breather hence the y rather than a return...thus no return.

All L20Bs here have a return. This allows cool fresh gas from the tank to circulate past the carburetor inlet. The advantages are two fold. It constantly filters all the gas in the tank over time and reduces vapor lock on very hot days in the summer. Any vapor bubbles will be pushed back into the tank.

I remember my outlet from the tank being on the side but couldn't see yours. Thought maybe different down under.

Pretty sure there is a return line along the chassis not being used, and I can always add to the webber 32/36 in time.

Yep pickup is on the side below the filler pipe.  The pickup tube is bloody blocked hard.  Thinking welding a 100chs to the bottom with a cap and threading a brass 1/4 barb i got with the carb rebuild kit in to it and just pickup from the sump if I can't clean the internal pickup.

14 hours ago, RyanC said:

Thanks Crash.  I figured there would be a way to replace if need be.  Other thought was welding sump to underside and put pickup in that but will see how we go. 

Question is the td420 related to a Nissan 4.2 diesel?

No the td420 has nothing to do with the nissan.... old gamer name from xbox.... the T D was short for test dummy... so crash test dummy 420.... I always wanted to get stickers made to give out after work on or fix something for someone...

0502130614-1.jpg

54 minutes ago, Crashtd420 said:

No the td420 has nothing to do with the nissan.... old gamer name from xbox.... the T D was short for test dummy... so crash test dummy 420.... I always wanted to get stickers made to give out after work on or fix something for someone...

0502130614-1.jpg

Are nice..well easy enough to get stickers made these days.