Random side mirror questions

The side mirrors on my 720, I don't like. The mirrors on the truck are plastic body single point of contact. I like the (usually chrome) rectangle three points of contact side mirrors that are usually found on 620's. There is a set of 620 mirrors for sale in the classifieds section, if my descriptions are not understandable.

First question: Did the 720 every come with three point of contact mirrors that differ from the 620 three point of contact mirrors?

I am going off the reservation a bit here and hope someone has blazed the trail: There are kits to install turn signal lights, behind the glass. I could not locate an instructional video, or example of a kit installed on a three point of contact mirror.

Second question: Anyone have experience with these kits? https://www.amazon.com/iJDMTOY-Universal-Mirror-LED-Brilliant/dp/B008B86O7Qhttps://www.amazon.com/iJDMTOY-Universal-Mirror-LED-Brilliant/dp/B008B86O7Q

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 2 months later...

I don't recall seeing 720's with the three point mirrors but that doesn't mean they didn't come with them. When I started in Nissan parts the Hardbody had just come out.

I believe those type of mirrors were an add on either at the dealer or after the fact (I could be wrong, it happens a lot).

Second question: no I don't.

Hey look, I was absolutely no help at all.

• Like 1

At some point L&R side mirrors were DOT required on all new vehicles. Never seen three point on any truck from the factory. Companies that did camper modifications would have supplied them. Nothing from the factory needed them. Though some like the look I do not, it's pretentious like your driving a semi???? Small discrete look best but larger work best. It's a trade off.

From my recollection only the inside rear view and drivers side mirror were/are required by law, they came with a small door mounted side mirror like the mirror for sale in the classifieds but it was very popular on full size pickups to have what I call cowboy mirrors and the fad transferred to the new small pickups.

If you carried anything in the back that blocks your view then you needed them, my Dad's 71 had them but they were two point my 73 had them and they were 3 point but different than those you show and were more like semi truck mirrors as you said..

The model I remember most were like these on this orange pickup, they are what my 73 had.

These mirrors and all the different model rear bumpers ( Barden bumper )were dealer add-ons or added after purchase.

The model you show began appearing later but I don't remember seeing them as much as the earlier models I think because most people stayed with the stock side view mirror and just added a passenger side mirror that matched the OEM flag type drivers side.

Side mirror.jpg

• Like 1

Yes back then. Right side view mirrors were an option through the 620 run. My 710 didn't have a right side mirror, I put one on. Same with my 620.

I don't think you can buy a vehicle without a right side mirror but when this started I don't know. The more I look into this the more confusing the laws are.   

• Like 1

Just found my receipt,back in April 23 2007 I bought a mirror,part number 96301-10W10 for 144.25 with taxes.Which means I drove it for 14 years without a passenger mirror.Also this Nissan dealer has sold and they built a new building.Did you know Nissan has no body shop.I keep all receipts.Also back in the 70's here,all vehicles had to get a inspection sticker once a year.Not no more.That died long ago.

Edited by Thomas Perkins
On 1/2/2022 at 10:28 AM, Ooph! said:

From my recollection only the inside rear view and drivers side mirror were/are required by law, they came with a small door mounted side mirror like the mirror for sale in the classifieds but it was very popular on full size pickups to have what I call cowboy mirrors and the fad transferred to the new small pickups.

If you carried anything in the back that blocks your view then you needed them, my Dad's 71 had them but they were two point my 73 had them and they were 3 point but different than those you show and were more like semi truck mirrors as you said..

The model I remember most were like these on this orange pickup, they are what my 73 had.

These mirrors and all the different model rear bumpers ( Barden bumper )were dealer add-ons or added after purchase.

The model you show began appearing later but I don't remember seeing them as much as the earlier models I think because most people stayed with the stock side view mirror and just added a passenger side mirror that matched the OEM flag type drivers side.

Side mirror.jpg

About 15 years ago a motorcycle pulled out from behind me and passed me on the left  Run straight into one of those "flag" mirrors,  Quite a mess.  Should have looked and maybe ducked ?

• Like 3
On 1/2/2022 at 12:16 PM, Thomas Perkins said:

Just found my receipt,back in April 23 2007 I bought a mirror,part number 96301-10W10 for 144.25 with taxes.Which means I drove it for 14 years without a passenger mirror.Also this Nissan dealer has sold and they built a new building.Did you know Nissan has no body shop.I keep all receipts.Also back in the 70's here,all vehicles had to get a inspection sticker once a year.Not no more.That died long ago.

Quite common these days for regional dealers to sponsor one common body shop.

• Like 1