Fusible link housing

ProJect

Hi everyone! 

I have searched the forums and am still a little confused about the fusible link on my 82 720 diesel.

Am I correct that the black and green (2 and 2) *wires* are the fusible link and the black connector that they all go into that attaches to the battery terminal is just a housing for the connections to those wires?

Well that housing broke. Seems the wires are just fine, but they wiggle around in there and sometimes when I hit a bump my car will start to overheat(is that the thermostat going out?) and my lights will go out.

I did see someone post some parts from vintage connections:

http://www.vintageconnections.com/Products/Detail/140

Could I just get four of these and eyelet them to my terminal?

Or is there a generic housing connector I could use?

Thanks in advance guys!

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

18 minutes ago, ProJect said:

Am I correct that the black and green (2 and 2) *wires* are the fusible link and the black connector that they all go into that attaches to the battery terminal is just a housing for the connections to those wires?

Well that housing broke. Seems the wires are just fine, but they wiggle around in there and sometimes when I hit a bump my car will start to overheat(is that the thermostat going out?) and my lights will go out.

Yes

All are joined on or at the positive battery terminal. Dosen't matter how you achieve this as long as it is secure mechanically and electrically.

One of the fusible links is dedicated to the headlights. If they go out on a bump then the connection is loose.

Do you have an after market gauge? (I imagine it's related to the fusible links being loose)

Aftermarket gauge wire or do you mean in my dash? Nothing aftermarket to my knowledge. That black clip is falling to pieces.

I've found replacement battery terminals that have little screws for adding up to four extra wires. Could that work or would I be better off with the four clips and make little pig tails using a higher gauge wire and eyelets on the battery end?

Edited by ProJect
Clarify terminals

There seemed to be a design and physical weakness with our harnesses here.  Datsun was trying too hard in using the battery positive post as a kind of junction block, and the connector that they came up with is too specialized to just swap in a new one.  Something like this might be a bit less insane.  My solution was to wire a couple of ring terminals at the battery, then branch those wires/fusible links - putting a couple wires on one side of a crimp connector.  Although it is fixed, it isn't really ideal in conforming to standards for automotive harnesses

Ultimately, I'd like to find good battery post terminals (without SAE hardware), and redo the battery cables, and grounding straps.  Soldered battery cable terminals would be ideal.

A few things that I do with generic wiring, as of lately.  First is removing the nylon insulation from terminal ends (spade, bullet, and ring connectors).  I hate not being able to see exactly how I'm joining connectors to wires.  You can also buy them without nylon insulation.  Nylon insulation is really overkill on something like ring terminals on a grounding strap, and it makes the crimping tool have to contend with all this extra material.  Heat shrink looks so much better, and it allows a solder option if you have skills or the need, but, heat shrink only works within a range of diameters, so sticky and self-adhering electrical wrap are good in those situations.  If you look hard enough you will also find bare barrel connectors as well - it is so nice to reduce the bulk that results with connections.

I like to use battery terminals that have studs, which makes connecting to the battery easy, but I also like to keep battery connections to a minimum, as it can get crowded. For vehicle power, starter power, fusible links and auxiliary power, I run a short battery cable to a junction block and distribute from there. You can see in the pics below how the main battery cable is huge and then branches off through the two post power distribution block, and from there goes into the fusible links, aux power, circuit breakers, etc. I also don't bother with fusible link connectors anymore. I simply gang them up into one heavy gauge terminal then crimp and heat shrink them together. If you need to replace a fusible link, you simply clip the terminal and replace the link, then add another terminal.

20210415_123921.jpg?width=960&height=720
20210415_123911.jpg?width=960&height=720
20210408_155640(1).jpg?width=960&height=
20210407_132735.jpg?width=960&height=720

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...
On 10/11/2021 at 1:59 PM, Thomas Perkins said:

That is 100% the part I need, holy cow how could I not find it!?  Now the next thing is that I can't find a button to add it to my shopping cart on there...

Edit: they are having some technical issues. I'm working with them on getting the part. Thank you so much everyone, I've learned a lot and this thread will likely be helpful information in the future as there are only 2 of these parts left!