Loud Thunk

That Ol 720

I have a 83 720 and everytime I go for a drive or drive it somewhere I always hear this loud clunk/thunk noise. I have no idea where or what it is, although it sounds like its coming from somewhere near the middle of the bed of the truck. Its really annoying and I need to fix it but im not shure exactly where to start. Any suggestions??

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Mine was a combination of the slider driveshaft joint and a worn rear end. Slider joint damage caused by rear end- installed spare diffy from parts truck so have a rebuildable rear end if anyone is interested. Does it clunk when applying throttle or releasing it? Other comment here about physically wiggling parts underneath a good place to start.

2wd had two piece driveshafts with carrier bearing, 4x4 had a much shorter driveshaft with a splined slip yoke. 

When does it clunk???

Step on the gas?

Steady speed?

Let off the gas?

Letting out the clutch after gear changes?

Bumpy roads? smooth roads?

Carrying a load, empty or either?

21 hours ago, weldingrod said:

Mine was a combination of the slider driveshaft joint and a worn rear end. Slider joint damage caused by rear end- installed spare diffy from parts truck so have a rebuildable rear end if anyone is interested. Does it clunk when applying throttle or releasing it? Other comment here about physically wiggling parts underneath a good place to start.

Not really when I give it gas. But mostly bumpy roads, and sometimes going around turns. I'll starts paying attention to see if it does it while I give it gas or not