Confused on transmission.

I have a ‘94 D21 2wd with a 5W71C trans that I’m having trouble sourcing gears for. The inner race on the forward bearing went boom and chewed up fourth gear. Also confused on which bearing and synchro set to get as most of what I’ve researched so not have this year truck being paired with the 5W71C trans. I’m fairly certain it’s the original trans since only my grandpa and I have owned it. Any help or clarity is greatly appreciated.

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The next three are 3rd 2nd and 1st front to back.

What you want is the 'Main drive gear' shown below. It turns the driven counter gear below it on the transmission. The bearing comes off but the rest is all machined as one piece.

SId3EHY.jpg

I'm afraid that they are sold as a set. This is for a 71B transmission and is a 22 tooth and it's mate on the countershaft is 31 tooth. By varying these tooth counts you can make a wide, mid or or close ratio transmission. 

You'll have to verify this but my info shows for a KA powered '94 2wd Hardbody the main/counter drive gear set is 32200-70L56. Alternate number 70L59* and 70L97*

* these were the same gear set used in the '94-'97 240sx is all.

The front gear that is driven by the mainshaft above it, the one directly behind the counter bearing can be removed with a puller. The 3rd, 2nd and 1st gears on the countershaft are all one piece. Yes, the main drive gear and the counter driven gear are a set and all you really need.

Nissan FS5W71C 4 Cylinder Input Shaft

Don't forget the 62mm counter bearing you should change it in addition to the mainshaft destroyed bearing as well while it's off.

• Thanks 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Ahhh not familiar with sub gear, the 71B doesn't have this.   I think its actual function is as an oil slinger. You have KA or VG engine??? Maybe put this in your profile for others.

Nissan may have them or you'll have to pull out of used transmission. From '95 on the D21 became the D21U and were KA24DE and the parts are different.

2wd KA24E

Sub gear.............................32412-58S60

Bracket.............................. 32414-58S60

Spring................................ 32415-55S60

VG30

Sub gear........................... 32412-01G10

Bracket............................. 32414-01G00

Spring............................... 32415-33G00