0-60

That Ol 720

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Assuming 3.889 and 195/75R14s that's 4,000 @ 60 MPH in 3rd.

I know of no one that does a 0-60 time. 23 seems a bit slow but the Z24 is all about low RPM torque that high revving power.

A MPG number might indicate something not right. A 2wd would get 23 MPG give or take on the highway. If getting 15 then something is out of tune.

Have you checked things like valve lash, ignition timing, are the plug wires old? have you checked the both exhaust and intake side spark plugs are working? Pull a plug wire off, stick an old plug in the end, lay on a grounded surface, turn engine with starter, is there spark? It's common enough for the exhaust side to quit and engine runs terrible. Spark plugs should only be BPR6ES intake side and BPR5ES exhaust side.

Do a compression test. All over 150 wold be alright, under 130 would be getting tired.  All readings should be within 10% of each other. The Z24 is well known for blowing the head gaskets at 100K intervals.... do you have unexplained coolant loss and need to top up the radiator constantly? Are the spark plugs in one cylinder cleaner than the rest?

• Like 1
1 minute ago, datzenmike said:

Assuming 3.889 and 195/75R14s that's 4,000 @ 60 MPH in 3rd.

I know of no one that does a 0-60 time. 23 seems a bit slow but the Z24 is all about low RPM torque that high revving power.

A MPG number might indicate something not right. A 2wd would get 23 MPG give or take on the highway. If getting 15 then something is out of tune.

Have you checked things like valve lash, ignition timing, are the plug wires old? have you checked the both exhaust and intake side spark plugs are working? Pull a plug wire off, stick an old plug in the end, lay on a grounded surface, turn engine with starter, is there spark? It's common enough for the exhaust side to quit and engine runs terrible. Spark plugs should only be BPR6ES intake side and BPR5ES exhaust side.

Do a compression test. All over 150 wold be alright, under 130 would be getting tired.  All readings should be within 10% of each other. The Z24 is well known for blowing the head gaskets at 100K intervals.... do you have unexplained coolant loss and need to top up the radiator constantly? Are the spark plugs in one cylinder cleaner than the rest?

He has no fuel pressure regulator, his carbs detuned to run with no choke, plug wires mis match. Seems to be overflowing the float bowl sometimes

• Like 1
19 minutes ago, Veraciousreasoning said:

I got a 1980 720 and I am getting similar mpg. My truck does 0-60 in about 30 seconds. 

Does yours ever backfire and stutter when its trying to get up hills? When Im on the highway and going up a hill, it looses 10-15mph and starts backfiring and stuttering like its not getting enough air to too much fuel or something.

1 hour ago, That Ol 720 said:

Does yours ever backfire and stutter when its trying to get up hills? When Im on the highway and going up a hill, it looses 10-15mph and starts backfiring and stuttering like its not getting enough air to too much fuel or something.

I def creep up hills with the 720 but I don't really get the stuttering or backfiring. When you drive uphill what gear are you in? I always have to downshift to third gear. 

When I see a hill coming usually I just increase my speed as much as possible to get as far up the hill before I have to downshift. 

23 minutes ago, Veraciousreasoning said:

I def creep up hills with the 720 but I don't really get the stuttering or backfiring. When you drive uphill what gear are you in? I always have to downshift to third gear. 

When I see a hill coming usually I just increase my speed as much as possible to get as far up the hill before I have to downshift. 

When I'm on the highway im typically going 60-65 so i downshift from 5th into 4th to go up hills. But then I just lose my speed

23 minutes ago, Veraciousreasoning said:

Damn you can get up to 60-65? My truck barely hits 55 miles an hour without it sounding likes its screaming like a banshee. 

My truck is really wierd. Sometimes I can hit 80 and I don't lose power going up hills at all, and then the next day I won't be able to pass 55mph on level ground and then itll stay like that for a week. Then it will be fine again. I don't know man my truck is weird but it definitely has a power issue, no doubt about that.

1 hour ago, That Ol 720 said:

My truck is really wierd. Sometimes I can hit 80 and I don't lose power going up hills at all, and then the next day I won't be able to pass 55mph on level ground and then itll stay like that for a week. Then it will be fine again. I don't know man my truck is weird but it definitely has a power issue, no doubt about that.

Could be a timing issue? or a valve issue? I am stilling learning about cars and got my truck to basically rebuild it so I can learn these things. Have you changed the fuel filter? cleaned your carb?

2 hours ago, Veraciousreasoning said:

Could be a timing issue? or a valve issue? I am stilling learning about cars and got my truck to basically rebuild it so I can learn these things. Have you changed the fuel filter? cleaned your carb?

My timing is factory spec 3 BTDC and u replaced the fuel filter about 2 weeks ago. My carb is brand new and was put on when my engine was rebuilt about a year ago. Haven't checked the valves tho. 

Timing is 5 degrees +- 2 degrees so you are on the low side.

6 hours ago, That Ol 720 said:

Backfire out the exhaust or the carburetor?  Spark plug wires have no real expiry date. If they look old then they are and need to be replaced. Check the distributor cap insides and the rotor. Under load the spark has a much harder time jumping the plug gap and will look for an easier path to ground. Like a crack in the cap or insulation on the boots or wires. 

5 hours ago, Veraciousreasoning said:

Damn you can get up to 60-65? My truck barely hits 55 miles an hour without it sounding likes its screaming like a banshee. 

The 720 is perfectly capable of above highway speeds. It sounds way worse than it is. It's not really revving that much

37 minutes ago, datzenmike said:

Timing is 5 degrees +- 2 degrees so you are on the low side.

Backfire out the exhaust or the carburetor?  Spark plug wires have no real expiry date. If they look old then they are and need to be replaced. Check the distributor cap insides and the rotor. Under load the spark has a much harder time jumping the plug gap and will look for an easier path to ground. Like a crack in the cap or insulation on the boots or wires. 

The 720 is perfectly capable of above highway speeds. It sounds way worse than it is. It's not really revving that much

I think it might be backfiring put of the carb. I may be wrong tho

So does it not have the stock fuel Y at the carb?  That is the only regulator these ever had.

Also the stutter and loss of power sounds exactly like what happens on mine when my fuel filter needs to be replaced.  Even if you've done that recently it a good cheap place to start.

• Like 1