My 69 521

Arifaeth

Starting a build thread for my 69 521, the first two pics are the truck, the third pic is the color I plan on making it. Currently working on finishing getting the motor running smoothly, and then it's on to rebuilding the brakes. I've got all that stuff figured out and planned. What I don't have planned is the best way to seal up the interior, wether or not I can get a carpet kit, how to put on a new steering wheel, I've got someone who rebuilds dashes who I found on FB who does pretty dang good work, and will completely recover the dash top for me for $150 and make it just like factory. But I'm also gonna need to do new door cards, but I've got that planned out already. Any thoughts, or ideas are appreciated!!

20210928_182551.jpg

20210926_120850.jpg

389816fda337a51e37c830d6f1f2fa77.jpg

• Like 2
  • Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Long way to go my dude.

Carpet kits can be had from a guy in SLC but I don't have his email anymore. I bought mine off ebay but his user-id no longer exists.  I think @mainer311 has his email, hotrod something or other.  New steering wheel depends on what kind you want to put on there.  If Grant they make an adapter if anything else good luck because you would need an adapter (unattainable) and will probably be left with a gap in the column.   I have seen a lot of repop door cards on the 521 FB group so check there.  

Share the link on FB for dash work, mine is crappy and I want it redone.  

• Like 2
4 minutes ago, banzai510(hainz) said:

find some door cards as you call them but I would roll it the way it is. Patina look is still in and alot cheaper

repaint he rims and new tires call it good!!!!!!!!!! believe me youll still get the Thumbs UP and people saying it cool.

I'm getting new rims, and it's got new tires on it. The rims it's got are bent outta wack. My brother mount and balance em for me and said they are visibly bent

• Like 1

Hey, so I've been doing some research, cause I figured till I get the carb kit and stuff in, I can go over some wiring In the truck,

•my fuel gauge and temp gauge don't work, but I think I know why (ish)

•my headlights don't work, but my blinkers do, and nor do my brake lights, but I haven't touched those yet

•my wipers don't work

•none of my cluster lights work, but I'm sure they are no good

•my fuse box only has 4 fuse spots, how many are these trucks supposed to have?

•i thought my horn just didn't work, but from what I can see (unless it's hidden) I just don't have a horn 🤷😂😂

•i don't have a radio

•and I don't know if there were any other electric items on this truck 😂😂😂

• Like 1

New interior door cards and other pieces can be purchased though this guy here:
https://www.instagram.com/tree_ausawa/

If you wanna go with a 'vintage' feel for the raido but have modern features, you can go with:
https://www.vintagecarradio.com/vintage-radios/datsun or similar, i'm likely just going to take my bluethooth speaker with me and listen to my phone.  

Check the fuses in the fusebox under the hood on the left side - spin the fuses. Mine sometimes don't want to ground correctly and doing so fixes the issues till I can clean them, otherwise it's time to bust out the multimeter and track it down. 

Wipers, could be fuse, spin and try again, otherwise check the motor / or even if it is hooked up under the dash. 

d.p ahs a good thread with fuseboxes pictures here, but you shouldn't be missing any - should be filled with fuses like the box in the bottom right of the first picture 

2 minutes ago, BrothersGarage said:

If you wanna go with a 'vintage' feel for the raido but have modern features, you can go with:
https://www.vintagecarradio.com/vintage-radios/datsun or similar, i'm likely just going to take my bluethooth speaker with me and listen to my phone.  

Check the fuses in the fusebox under the hood on the left side - spin the fuses. Mine sometimes don't want to ground correctly and doing so fixes the issues till I can clean them, otherwise it's time to bust out the multimeter and track it down. 

Wipers, could be fuse, spin and try again, otherwise check the motor / or even if it is hooked up under the dash. 

d.p ahs a good thread with fuseboxes pictures here, but you shouldn't be missing any - should be filled with fuses like the box in the bottom right of the first picture 

My fuse box only has four slots

• Like 1
45 minutes ago, Arifaeth said:

My fuse box only has four slots

48 minutes ago, BrothersGarage said:

I just double checked, and it in fact only have 4slots in It for fuses? Even though the other posts I see have 6? Which would tell me it's not the factory one, but why would the PO swap the 6 fuse box for a 4 fuse box, and not just swap to newer style fuses?

• Like 1

Carpet:

https://www.carparts.com/carpet-kit?&vehicle[cylinders]=4&vehicle[liter]=1.3&vehicle[submodel]=Base&vehicle[model]=520_Pickup&vehicle[make]=Nissan&vehicle[year]=1966

http://newark-auto.com/product-details/

1966 and early 1967 520s had the 4 fuse fuseboxes, then the 520/521 harness changed to include rear backup lights, different turn signal and several other “advances”.

Keith

Edited by zed1
  • Like 1

Like I said earlier your truck is more a 520 than a 521.

I bet its stock made more likely in 68 sometime.  Like a previous member said  spin /clean or better yet replace the fuses.

520/521 most of the proplem are near at at the fust box cause of corrossion. esp with the lights . maybe even with the volt reg for the instrument panel.

If the wire are not cut or bee repaired with those nasty red and blue splices the wires are more likely just just need cleaning. What happen to your Dats mechanic.he should know this. This is common.

get a good mutimeter or 12volt test light and find where your loosing the power.  Actually should be EZer to find since you only have 4 fuses and If the 520 use 4 I believe this is most like a stock Datsun set up before the true 521 came out.

Edited by banzai510(hainz)
  • Like 2
10 minutes ago, banzai510(hainz) said:

Like I said earlier your truck is more a 520 than a 521.

I bet its stock made more likely in 68 sometime.  Like a previous member said  spin /clean or better yet replace the fuses.

520/521 most of the proplem are near at at the fust box cause of corrossion. esp with the lights . maybe even with the volt reg for the instrument panel.

If the wire are not cut or bee repaired with those nasty red and blue splices the wires are more likely just just need cleaning. What happen to your Dats mechanic.he should know this. This is common.

get a good mutimeter or 12volt test light and find where your loosing the power.  Actually should be EZer to find since you only have 4 fuses and If the 520 use 4 I believe this is most like a stock Datsun set up before the true 521 came out.

Alright, I have cleaned and spun them before, but I can't remember if it was before or after I checked electrical functions. And my uncle, who used to be a certified tech back in the day, is a very busy dude, as he's now a certified master mechanic for Subaru, and when he's not at work, he's constantly doing lots of other work for either himself or other people, so it is easier to put a post on here, then hope he has some time to chat

• Like 1
29 minutes ago, banzai510(hainz) said:

old fuses breck at the ends so get new ones for the correct spot.

isnt to hard to use a test light and see far far power is going down the line to the item which is powered.

lots times there is a relay which needs to be clean or just reseating the connector might fix it

See I tested em with a light and they all lit up so 🤷 would it be smarter to get a 6 post?

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Arifaeth said:

See I tested em with a light and they all lit up so 🤷 would it be smarter to get a 6 post?

If it sucks and you're planning on replacing it then I would recommend upgrading it to one of the BlueSea marine style with updated fuses. From what I've seen on all 3 520/521s I've had is that the shape of the hood and cowl lead to rain dripping right on that old fuse box and not helping. 

More info on upgrading the fusebox (DanielC's comment at the bottom):

• Like 1
23 hours ago, datzenmike said:

Temperature AND fuel gauge non functioning is usually the regulated supply voltage to them both.

ZjSpgdj.jpg

Replace or maybe pry apart and sand the contacts. There was someone selling a solid state 8v supply that will also work.

After the parts counter tells you they don't have these parts ask for a 510 Regulator.  Bend the mount tab and it will work/

• Like 2
14 minutes ago, MikeRL411 said:

After the parts counter tells you they don't have these parts ask for a 510 Regulator.  Bend the mount tab and it will work/

Are there supposed to be wires going into the back of both gauges? Or? Cause my cluster only has the speedo cable, and the big multipin plug

• Like 1
On 9/29/2021 at 8:01 AM, d.p said:

Long way to go my dude.

Carpet kits can be had from a guy in SLC but I don't have his email anymore. I bought mine off ebay but his user-id no longer exists.  I think @mainer311 has his email, hotrod something or other.  New steering wheel depends on what kind you want to put on there.  If Grant they make an adapter if anything else good luck because you would need an adapter (unattainable) and will probably be left with a gap in the column.   I have seen a lot of repop door cards on the 521 FB group so check there.  

i don't know if he's got a link, i'm just checking with him to see if he's fine with me spreading the word about him, you know?

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Arifaeth said:

Are there supposed to be wires going into the back of both gauges? Or? Cause my cluster only has the speedo cable, and the big multipin plug

The instrument voltage regulator is part of the printed circuit board [PCB].  All wiring to the vehicle is incorporated into the multi pin plug.  The meters are connected via the PCB.  Somewhere within this section the is a wiring diagram, find it via the search function.

• Like 1
On 9/29/2021 at 8:01 AM, d.p said:

Long way to go my dude.

1 hour ago, Arifaeth said:

i don't know if he's got a link, i'm just checking with him to see if he's fine with me spreading the word about him, you know?

His name is Geno knight On FB, he's got a American eagle thing profile picture

• Like 1

This might help you.

This pigtail handles all of the instrument panel.

Instrument Cluster Pinout 1.jpg

The little silver rectangular tin can is a voltage drop that drops the voltage to around 9 volts for the fuel and temp gauges only.  If this is bad neither gauge works.

DSC01940.jpg

This is my 66 cluster morphed with the 1980 720 wiring harness pigtail.

DSC01961.jpg

Edited by Charlie69