Temperature problem?

Veraciousreasoning

Idaho goes to 90 in October?

On 9/29/2021 at 5:57 AM, Veraciousreasoning said:

1. Clutch fan does stop right away

2. I took out the radiator yesterday and gave her a good scrubbing. There was some debris in there. 

3. I don't know how I would alleviate that. 

I changed the radiator hoses, flushed the system, and used radiator cleaner yesterday. There was a bunch of serious debris in there and tiny silver looking flakes which I am going to assume was ether A metal from the radiator or B material from stop leak. Ether or I will give her a drive today and see if it changes it. 

What were you referring to on #3?????

temp.jpg

This is not excessive. On really hot days or under a heavy load the temperature will sometimes go up a needle over the middle of that marked 'run range'. 

• Like 1
  • Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I can't see your truck but at some point too many fog lights, light bars, bush bar and winch might block the air flow.

Peshawar Khyber Pakhtunkhwa Pakistan Aug 15 Stock Photo (Edit Now)  1470049385

3/ Is your heater working properly? If yes then all is fine. If not and the core is leaking, some people connect the inlet hose to the outlet hose and by pass it. Does your heater work yes or no.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, datzenmike said:

I can't see your truck but at some point too many fog lights, light bars, bush bar and winch might block the air flow.

3/ Is your heater working properly? If yes then all is fine. If not and the core is leaking, some people connect the inlet hose to the outlet hose and by pass it. Does your heater work yes or no.

Yes the heater works. The heater is not as good as my last 720 but it works. I think it doesn't get as hot cause the cab is a bit bigger than the last one. 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, datzenmike said:

Looks ;ike a Philipino taxi cab or a Chinese hearse.

8 hours ago, captain720 said:

Do all you fan speeds work? Should be able to make a king cab uncomfortably hot in 7°F degree weather

All the fan speeds work and heat comes out of them in each setting. When I put my hand close to the vent it is hot as hell. I know I have to clean the system out manually cause some debris comes out of it sometimes and one of the vents is clogged. 

Tomorrow night I'll close all the windows and turn the heat on to see how hot it gets. 

• Like 1
23 hours ago, captain720 said:

Do all you fan speeds work? Should be able to make a king cab uncomfortably hot in 7°F degree weather

Drove it this morning when it was about 40 degrees and it works but isn't blowing super hot. I can feel it when I put my hand near the vent but it seems not to be pumping out super duper hot. 

The point of the heater working just shows that the hoses are not looped together, is my point. IF they were, the hot water from the block would by pass the heater core (which would shed at least some of the heat) and be sent HOT right back into the engine straining the cooling system.

10 hours ago, datzenmike said:

The point of the heater working just shows that the hoses are not looped together, is my point. IF they were, the hot water from the block would by pass the heater core (which would shed at least some of the heat) and be sent HOT right back into the engine straining the cooling system.

Yea, makes sense to me. 

The picture below or above is the temperature that it was running at today. It was 82 degrees outside. New coolant, New hoses, new thermostat, and took out radiator to clean it. I don't notice any difference in driving, or the sound of the engine. I just know that I don't wanna keep running at that temp. 

Perhaps, a new radiator, water pump, and heater core would do the trick?

20211005_135134.jpg

Slow down on the parts. You cleaned the rad but it didn't make a difference is a little odd. If it is really old I would replace it they get "weak" as far as shedding heat. Check with the ir gun if you can. Overheats can get frustrating and expensive when just slapping on parts. If it is within your budget replace away.

9 hours ago, datzenmike said:

Can you shoot the thermostat cover with an IR 'gun'??? If it says 185F then the gauge simply reads high. A new rad won't change a high reading. Worth checking this.

The weird thing is it doesn't do it at night or early in the morning. During those time periods it reads dead center of the gauge but its only during the day does it show this. 

3 hours ago, bottomwatcher said:

Slow down on the parts. You cleaned the rad but it didn't make a difference is a little odd. If it is really old I would replace it they get "weak" as far as shedding heat. Check with the ir gun if you can. Overheats can get frustrating and expensive when just slapping on parts. If it is within your budget replace away.

The truck sat around for a long time and I have no idea the state of the last owner and how careful he was with the truck. It runs smooth as hell but I wanna make sure I treat her the way she deserves. If it cost me 200 bucks to change the radiator so be it. I don't really have a budget planned. Its my daily driver and I only paid 1500 for it. If I dump another 4-5k into the truck so be it. I already planned on dumping that much into it anyway. 

If I do change the radiator what kind should I get? 

• Like 1
8 hours ago, Veraciousreasoning said:

I also have a 160 stat in it. 

Don't do that. The engine should be running at 180 running cooler all the time is actually not good for it and not a solution for overheating. Looking at your list of parts I would go for a new radiator. I bought one a couple of years ago at autozone. Less than $200 and works fine. Get a 180 thermostat and a good one the good ones are not made in china and are close to $20. 

1 hour ago, bottomwatcher said:

Don't do that. The engine should be running at 180 running cooler all the time is actually not good for it and not a solution for overheating. Looking at your list of parts I would go for a new radiator. I bought one a couple of years ago at autozone. Less than $200 and works fine. Get a 180 thermostat and a good one the good ones are not made in china and are close to $20. 

DO I just measure my radiator and find one that is similar? I was looking on ebay last night and found a couple that said it was for a 1980 720 but I don't know for sure. I get paid next week and I'll buy a new radiator. I may also check the massive junk yard here on Monday. 

1 hour ago, Veraciousreasoning said:

DO I just measure my radiator and find one that is similar? I was looking on ebay last night and found a couple that said it was for a 1980 720 but I don't know for sure. I get paid next week and I'll buy a new radiator. I may also check the massive junk yard here on Monday. 

1980 you have the L motor. I am no expert on them. Where are the inlet and outlet hoses located? You do want to make sure you get a match because only a few inches movement of the hose neck on the radiator turns into a major pain in the ass.