Can't charge er up

Dirtyowlnumber4

Was ridin along in my automobile when the brake and charge lights came on simutaneously. I parked it at a gas station to check it out and it wouldn't restart, so i jumped it and brought it home.

Been having a real hell of a time to get it charging. nothing coming out of the alternator, so I replaced it (twice) and never getting anything from those either.

The external voltage regulator has been cut off and wired out correctly.

Is there anything else that could stop it from charging or should i just keep chucking alternators at it?

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

11 minutes ago, Dirtyowlnumber4 said:

The external voltage regulator has been cut off and wired out correctly.

Is there anything else that could stop it from charging or should i just keep chucking alternators at it?

You obviously have a '77 or older B-210. (too bad this info isn't in your profile) Putting a '77 or older alternator in isn't going to work. If regulator is removed then it's been converted to the later internally regulated alternator. You need a '78 or newer alternator.

• Like 1

Not too sure if this new alternator is internally regulated or not. i bought it new from autozone.

Regardless, it won't charge wether or not the voltage regulator is hooked up. only difference is that with the regulator hooked up the brake light comes on along with the charge light (like the ignition is on with the engine off, but it's not).

The headlight fuse blew when the thing stopped charging, but replaced the fuse and they work fine, no visible issue with the wiring.

You said previously that the regulator had been cut and rewired properly. 

On 9/24/2021 at 6:16 PM, datzenmike said:

You obviously have a '77 or older B-210. (too bad this info isn't in your profile) Putting a '77 or older alternator in isn't going to work. If regulator is removed then it's been converted to the later internally regulated alternator. You need a '78 or newer alternator.

You bought the alternator so what year did you ask for??????

• 4 weeks later...

Well i asked for 1976.  I bought it from autozone or something. it fit in with a little drilling.

still haven't figured this thing out. anyone know how to get an alternator that is fs internally regulated? I can find the old alternator and take a picture if needed.. it has 2 bolts on either side at the bottom and 1 adjustment bolt at the top.. and its a 1976 a14..

I miss rallying my guys wouldn't mind having her back any ides are appreciated.

should i get the new alternator tested?

Edited by Dirtyowlnumber4
  • 1 month later...

Heres a little update:

I used my brothers battery and that seemed to have a positive effect. I also replaced a fuse that keeps blowing recently and that started it charging. It is the fuse that I have marked "headlights". I can even wiggle it around a little bit and get the charge light to turn off. Ill have to look at the back of the fusebox, seems somethings loose..

Now it is charging with 16 volts at idle. I think I'll get an internally regulated alternator as opposed to trying to fix the ext. regulator.

Does anyone have a part # for an alternator off a newer datsun? heres a link to the alternator I have now  

https://www.googleadservices.com/pagead/aclk?sa=L&ai=DChcSEwjnhc-GsM30AhV7-uMHHVwyBrsYABAJGgJ5bQ&ae=2&ohost=www.google.com&cid=CAESQOD2PEPIch2B9pHEfBi4F9kAPnpTDQAMUIZSQ3zKBAldK51XNyCMGf58uQAVOWA5iMv8X4Eu8WmAVyBJ58-r-IY&sig=AOD64_0HQ2J5o5TRMvXabgGNEF4-8bTqPQ&ctype=5&q=&ved=2ahUKEwiQp8OGsM30AhXnkokEHaRiBf0Q9aACegQIARBo&adurl=https://www.carid.com/nissan-b210-replacement-alternators/?offermpnid=4478738520&view=123456&gclid=Cj0KCQiA47GNBhDrARIsAKfZ2rDUtJIhkeXwltZ7OBgdQ4m9REj5LLyk-sP0EEpGin8cvSqpFgBF2_0aAq2AEALw_wcBhttps://www.googleadservices.com/pagead/aclk?sa=L&ai=DChcSEwjnhc-GsM30AhV7-uMHHVwyBrsYABAJGgJ5bQ&ae=2&ohost=www.google.com&cid=CAESQOD2PEPIch2B9pHEfBi4F9kAPnpTDQAMUIZSQ3zKBAldK51XNyCMGf58uQAVOWA5iMv8X4Eu8WmAVyBJ58-r-IY&sig=AOD64_0HQ2J5o5TRMvXabgGNEF4-8bTqPQ&ctype=5&q=&ved=2ahUKEwiQp8OGsM30AhXnkokEHaRiBf0Q9aACegQIARBo&adurl=https://www.googleadservices.com/pagead/aclk?sa=L&ai=DChcSEwjnhc-GsM30AhV7-uMHHVwyBrsYABAJGgJ5bQ&ae=2&ohost=www.google.com&cid=CAESQOD2PEPIch2B9pHEfBi4F9kAPnpTDQAMUIZSQ3zKBAldK51XNyCMGf58uQAVOWA5iMv8X4Eu8WmAVyBJ58-r-IY&sig=AOD64_0HQ2J5o5TRMvXabgGNEF4-8bTqPQ&ctype=5&q=&ved=2ahUKEwiQp8OGsM30AhXnkokEHaRiBf0Q9aACegQIARBo&adurl=https://www.googleadservices.com/pagead/aclk?sa=L&ai=DChcSEwjnhc-GsM30AhV7-uMHHVwyBrsYABAJGgJ5bQ&ae=2&ohost=www.google.com&cid=CAESQOD2PEPIch2B9pHEfBi4F9kAPnpTDQAMUIZSQ3zKBAldK51XNyCMGf58uQAVOWA5iMv8X4Eu8WmAVyBJ58-r-IY&sig=AOD64_0HQ2J5o5TRMvXabgGNEF4-8bTqPQ&ctype=5&q=&ved=2ahUKEwiQp8OGsM30AhXnkokEHaRiBf0Q9aACegQIARBo&adurl=https://www.googleadservices.com/pagead/aclk?sa=L&ai=DChcSEwjnhc-GsM30AhV7-uMHHVwyBrsYABAJGgJ5bQ&ae=2&ohost=www.google.com&cid=CAESQOD2PEPIch2B9pHEfBi4F9kAPnpTDQAMUIZSQ3zKBAldK51XNyCMGf58uQAVOWA5iMv8X4Eu8WmAVyBJ58-r-IY&sig=AOD64_0HQ2J5o5TRMvXabgGNEF4-8bTqPQ&ctype=5&q=&ved=2ahUKEwiQp8OGsM30AhXnkokEHaRiBf0Q9aACegQIARBo&adurl=

On 10/29/2021 at 6:43 AM, datzenmike said:

'78 and up, all Nissan alternators were internally regulated. To use an internally regulated alternator on a vehicle that has the external regulator, you will need to do some minor changes to the wiring harness. 

There were '78 B-210s so ask for a '78 alternator. It's not plug and play. You do have to modify the old plug for the external regulator.