Purpose of "V" bracket on 510 rear suspenson arm

chukar

Can anyone tell me what the purpose of the metal "V" shaped bracket is on the rear of a 510 rear suspension arm?  I see it in the parts diagrams so I am almost positive it is stock and not put on by a previous owner.  When I bought my 510 it had been partially stripped by the owner so I don't think this "V" is for the hand brake.  Hopefully, my uploaded photo appears.  Thanks

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The 280z is different bt the 280zx and the S12 have similar control arms but no bracket.

In the middle of the picture is a small round pucker sticking up about a 1/4 "with a smaller hole in it. What is it's function??? Well it has no use now but in production the lathe center fit into it and allowed the casting to be spun to machine the other end of the spindle. As to the control arm it may have been used in the production or machining of the arm? OR it may serve some purpose not evident but when told produce a DOH! moment. 

CONVERTING CLASSIC STRUTS TO COILOVERS - RACE CAR MODS - YouTube

• Like 1
On 9/24/2021 at 5:58 AM, datzenmike said:

The 280z is different bt the 280zx and the S12 have similar control arms but no bracket.

In the middle of the picture is a small round pucker sticking up about a 1/4 "with a smaller hole in it. What is it's function??? Well it has no use now but in production the lathe center fit into it and allowed the casting to be spun to machine the other end of the spindle. As to the control arm it may have been used in the production or machining of the arm? OR it may serve some purpose not evident but when told produce a DOH! moment. 

CONVERTING CLASSIC STRUTS TO COILOVERS - RACE CAR MODS - YouTube

that is from the fabrication process in making them. That is the center line to the spindle so they could grind the spindle to size

• Like 1

The zx is similar and the 810/Maxima and they don't have it. It looks like something that it was planned to be used for, and then discarded. I see there's an opening on one side and it's pointed directly at the wheel cylinder. Perhaps the brake line was going to descend down and through it and then to the wheel cylinder? Then it would offer some protection. Later they decided to simply route the brake line where it is?  

3 hours ago, grannyknot said:

That's my car! Well it actually belongs to someone else now.

Oh awesome, it's a beauty! BaT posts like yours make for great reference material because there are always great shots of the undercarriage and details that are hard to find with a google search.

• Like 1
On 9/29/2021 at 1:38 PM, datzenmike said:

Perhaps the brake line was going to descend down and through it and then to the wheel cylinder? Then it would offer some protection. Later they decided to simply route the brake line where it is?  

I have to say, being in the business, if it was no longer needed, it would have been gone.  Cost savings always win (sometimes over quality).  That would have saved material cost and labor cost if it were removed.