Where could I get a good wiring harness for my 69 rotsun 521?

I saw on Finnegan's Garage where he got some "Painless Wiring"  https://www.painlessperformance.com/wc/10204 to hardwie the firechicken, they didn't have any for datsun but you can custom one on their website, they are pricy though to my opinion. Any references for my 69 1300? I'm thinking on doing it on my own, but im a begginer on this topic.

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Datsuns can be super confusing to use universal wiring harnesses on because they are ground switch systems instead of hot switch systems.  Instead of the switch being on the hot side of the load (fan, headlight, etc.) the switch is AFTER the load, on the ground/earth side of the circuit.  This can confuse lots of people.  That being said, any universal 12 circuit harness can be used.  You only have to understand 1 wire at a time.  

Can you read a wiring diagram?

• Like 1
23 minutes ago, Lockleaf said:

Datsuns can be super confusing to use universal wiring harnesses on because they are ground switch systems instead of hot switch systems.  Instead of the switch being on the hot side of the load (fan, headlight, etc.) the switch is AFTER the load, on the ground/earth side of the circuit.  This can confuse lots of people.  That being said, any universal 12 circuit harness can be used.  You only have to understand 1 wire at a time.  

Can you read a wiring diagram?

Depends on the model and year.  My 411 is hot wire switched.  Fortunately the glove box drivers manual includes a wiring diagram as the last page.  [It al;so has the adjustment proceedure for the SU carbs.]  Driver's manual sure aren't what they used to be !

• Like 1
2 hours ago, datzenmike said:

One of your advantages is the simplicity of vehicles in the '60s. Heater, wiper, radio, (optional) brake lights, turn signals, interior light, 4 ways and headlights. 4 or five fuses.

I like it simple !  Open the hood and understand what every thing is for.  P.S. my 411 does not have 4 way flashers.  One less can to worry about.  I did add a high mount brake light to notify teen age drivers that I had stopped [easy job given the wiring diagram].   I live near a High School so teeny boppers on their Iphones, not watching traffic is a serious problem.