Jump to content

Carburetor differences


Arifaeth

Recommended Posts

  • Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

7 hours ago, datzenmike said:

First electric choke was '72 on the L16 engine.

 

Post pictures of your carburetor from several sides, maybe someone can say.

Okay, cause it bolts on as it should, but the PO welded on a "custom" bracket for the throttle cable, and I wanna get a rebuild kit, but can't find a identification number anywhere, and idk how to add pictures

  • Like 1
Link to comment
4 hours ago, Arifaeth said:

Okay, cause it bolts on as it should, but the PO welded on a "custom" bracket for the throttle cable, and I wanna get a rebuild kit, but can't find a identification number anywhere, and idk how to add pictures

Are you using a phone to access this site? That’s all I have and use the “Add Files” option under where I’m writing this. I’m horrible with computers and this works for me. It’s an IPhone if that makes any difference. 
-Pidge

3DA582D2-E055-4773-BB85-A64E9AF04700.png

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
5 hours ago, pidge said:

Are you using a phone to access this site? That’s all I have and use the “Add Files” option under where I’m writing this. I’m horrible with computers and this works for me. It’s an IPhone if that makes any difference. 
-Pidge

3DA582D2-E055-4773-BB85-A64E9AF04700.png

Completely skipped over that thank you!

  • Like 2
Link to comment
On 9/22/2021 at 12:11 PM, datzenmike said:

First electric choke was '72 on the L16 engine.

 

Post pictures of your carburetor from several sides, maybe someone can say.

I know it isn't a great angle, I'm not at home or else I would grab better photos. But maybe it's enough to go off of for now?

Screenshot_20210908-112727_Facebook.jpg

  • Like 1
Link to comment
24 minutes ago, banzai510(hainz) said:

this a J motor?  69 is most likely a manual  but I do see some kind of wires to it but its not the choke I know for sure

I'm sorry, I thought I better mentioned, it's not the factory carb, I was told it was the later style, and I'm trying to find a rebuild kit. It has electronic and manual choke

  • Like 1
Link to comment

You better post a picture of the electric/manual choke because usually it's only one or the other. You probably still have the original choke pull in the cab but if this is an electric choke it's not needed and not used. 

 

It has a solenoid valve on the right front side so '71 and up L16?

'71 if manual choke.

The '72 521 was the first year for electric choke.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
5 hours ago, datzenmike said:

You better post a picture of the electric/manual choke because usually it's only one or the other. You probably still have the original choke pull in the cab but if this is an electric choke it's not needed and not used. 

 

It has a solenoid valve on the right front side so '71 and up L16?

'71 if manual choke.

The '72 521 was the first year for electric choke.

I have some photos, but apparently they are too large to upload, so I'm thinking it's no electronic choke, maybe it electric throttle advance? Cause the wires go to a solenoid, that is on the right side of the carb (facing the front of the truck) but they don't go anywhere else, but the diaphragm for the throttle (to open the second cylinder, is right behind the solenoid

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Just now, Arifaeth said:

I have some photos, but apparently they are too large to upload, so I'm thinking it's no electronic choke, maybe it electric throttle advance? Cause the wires go to a solenoid, that is on the right side of the carb (facing the front of the truck) but they don't go anywhere else, but the diaphragm for the throttle (to open the second cylinder, is right behind the solenoid

They got saved as motion photos, so I fixed it, here they are, it also says 180 on the left side of the bowl, and has a weird emblem on the right side

Screenshot_20210924-191028_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20210924-191025_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20210924-191022_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20210924-191018_Gallery.jpg

  • Like 1
Link to comment
1 hour ago, Arifaeth said:

Here's a better view of the logo

20210924_191206.jpg

 

That's just a normal Hitachi emblem.

 

This is a manual choke. There's no electrical choke on it. This is probably a '71 521 L16 carburetor is my guess..

  • Like 1
Link to comment
27 minutes ago, datzenmike said:

 

That's just a normal Hitachi emblem.

 

This is a manual choke. There's no electrical choke on it. This is probably a '71 521 L16 carburetor is my guess..

Alright, I hadn't looked to closely into it, my brother is the one that told me it's an electronic choke, I currently have the solenoid unplugged I just realized, I should probably plug it back in before I get to far with stuff 😂😂 it's currently wired to the little box underneath the ignition coil, is that fine? I'm guessing that's the part that turn off and on when you turn the ignition?

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Just now, datzenmike said:

My information doesn't show one not the first year '70 with the L16. The '71 does and was the last year for manual choke.

Then I guess that narrows it down, I need a rebuild kit for a 71 L16 carb, is there a certain number attributed to these carbs? And it's not a carb off a 180b right? cause I found a post about someone with one, and it looked really close, and my carb has 180 stamped on the side

  • Like 1
Link to comment

I never asked why you want a rebuild kit? 95% of carburetor problems are dirt inside. (change the fuel filter every 3-5 years. The other 5% are out of adjustment and accelerator pump worn out. Other than the accelerator pump there isn't anything to actually wear out. If you take apart carefully, you can save the gaskets and reuse them. It's mostly cleaning that fixes them. I blow out the small passages and orifices with carburetor cleaner can with a straw.

 

 

Take the air filter off and look down inside with a flashlight. Pump the throttle 2-3 times vigorously. You should see a strong squirt of fuel into the primary barrel. Does it?

  • Like 1
Link to comment
3 minutes ago, datzenmike said:

I never asked why you want a rebuild kit? 95% of carburetor problems are dirt inside. (change the fuel filter every 3-5 years. The other 5% are out of adjustment and accelerator pump worn out. Other than the accelerator pump there isn't anything to actually wear out. If you take apart carefully, you can save the gaskets and reuse them. It's mostly cleaning that fixes them. I blow out the small passages and orifices with carburetor cleaner can with a straw.

 

 

Take the air filter off and look down inside with a flashlight. Pump the throttle 2-3 times vigorously. You should see a strong squirt of fuel into the primary barrel. Does it?

I like to use a rebuild kit, because then I can take all the gaskets off, and clean everything, and not have to worry about being really care full to save all the gaskets. It's just smarter in my opinion to get a rebuild kit, and completely disassemble, and re assemble, with new gaskets, diaphragm, needle and ball, and all that, to just refresh the carb fully, without trying to find a new one. Especially because this truck has sat for a bit. And I can see that the gaskets will be Crusty if I go to take it apart

Edited by Arifaeth
  • Like 1
Link to comment
9 minutes ago, banzai510(hainz) said:

if it runs leave it alone

does it squirt gas when yu cycle the carb? yes then the accel pump is good

 

the connector on there is soem BCCD falp or soemthing Mike sould know this. I dont have it on my 521

 

I'm going to get a rebuild kit and replace atleast the gaskets, because most of mine are leaking. The truck runs good. But doesn't idle, and my uncle, who I found out used to be a Datsun certificied mechanic, has already given me insight on what is most likely the problem. But I need to get a gasket kit for it, the float bowl window leaks fuel really bad, it almost pisses fuel onto the intake and exhaust manifold, and I can tell that the diaphragm is getting old, and Everytime you pump it you can hear it. I've worked on, and rebuild multiple carbs and motors, I used to work at a classics/hotrod shop, we built and repaired old cars, but I've never worked on a Datsun, so I don't know where to find anything. If I can't find a rebuild kit, I'll go the route of looking for a side draft setup, because I don't feel comfortable running this carb as is. Unless I do a rebuild kit, you can't change my mind on that.

  • Like 1
Link to comment

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.