Issues with different tires size?

Arifaeth

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Why not just get the correct tire size???????????????????????

195/75R144s are the same width as 195/60R14 (7.68") or really close. They are 2.25" shorter for height. Reading almost 10% slow. So why screw up the speedometer and gas mileage with smaller tire??????

Instead....

205/70R14 are the same height but 8" wide

215/70R14 are 8.5" wide but the same height

235/60R14 are 9.25" wide and same height. How wide do you want???

1 minute ago, datzenmike said:

195/75R144s are the same width as 195/60R14 (7.68") or really close. They are 2.25" shorter for height. So why screw up the speedometer?

Instead....

So basically, the truck used to have what I like to call farm tires, their the really skinny type, so they are tall and have beefy tread on them, well those were no good at all. And I'm putting on some tires that are still good, and we had laying around, so it doesn't cost me anything to use, the old tires were way to tall, and I plan on lowering this truck, so I wanted the shorter tires, I will ultimately end up going with like, a 195/70r14 or something, depending on how I like the 60s. But these tires were free, and I plan on using them till I have the money to buy new rims and tires together.

4 minutes ago, datzenmike said:

195/75R144s are the same width as 195/60R14 (7.68") or really close. They are 2.25" shorter for height. Reading almost 10% slow. So why screw up the speedometer and gas mileage with smaller tire??????

Instead....

1 minute ago, Arifaeth said:

So basically, the truck used to have what I like to call farm tires, their the really skinny type, so they are tall and have beefy tread on them, well those were no good at all. And I'm putting on some tires that are still good, and we had laying around, so it doesn't cost me anything to use, the old tires were way to tall, and I plan on lowering this truck, so I wanted the shorter tires, I will ultimately end up going with like, a 195/70r14 or something, depending on how I like the 60s. But these tires were free, and I plan on using them till I have the money to buy new rims and tires together.

Ultimately, my end goal with this truck, is to chop the back end, and put in Miata rear independent suspension, cause I've seen it done, and put a stronger motor in it, and use it as a fun street truck.

The original tires WERE farm truck tires. 6;00 x 14 6 ply rating and stiff as fuck. Any car tire will fix that.

You'll be 8.8% or almost 4.4 MPH high out at actual 50MPH. I think the 521 had a 17 tooth Black pinions in them but check. Changing to an 19 tooth Blue is 17/19= 0.894 which is about 10.6%  different or about 1.8 MPH out @100 MPH or half that at 50 MPH.

The 520 and L521 with J13 engines used a 19 tooth pinion gear.

10 minutes ago, datzenmike said:

The original tires WERE farm truck tires. 6;00 x 14 6 ply rating and stiff as fuck. Any car tire will fix that.

You'll be 8.8% or almost 4.4 MPH high out at actual 50MPH. I think the 521 had a 17 tooth Black pinions in them but check. Changing to an 19 tooth Blue is 17/19= 0.894 which is about 10.6%  different or about 1.8 MPH out @100 MPH or half that at 50 MPH.

Mine is a L521 with a j13

• Like 1
10 minutes ago, datzenmike said:

Just now, Arifaeth said:

Mine is a L521 with a j13

But I'm not super worried about 5 mph, so long as I know if it's 5 over or 5 under. Especially since I plan on doing a full new set of tires and wheels I'm the future.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, datzenmike said:

That's what I figured. I doubt there is a 21 tooth pinion for the F4W63 transmission anyway. Lets see smaller wheels will show 55 MPH when actually going 50

Cool, I tend to drive 5 or so over anyways 😂😂 so if the speedo says I'm going 5 over I'm actually going the speed limit 😂😂😂

• Like 1

It'll "work" fine. 

Your speedo will be off. The tires alone are "re-gearing" the truck. I doubt you'll like it!!!!!

Talk about farmtruck.... it'll be a stump puller, and your probably not going to want to spend a lot of time on the highway.

• Like 1