Project "Dotty" 1980 720

Hey all, Figured I start a thread to show my progress with the truck. It also be cool for me to keep track and see how far it goes. 

The story begins in Oregon. I had a 1980 datsun 720 for about 2 years. I fell in love with the truck over that time and realized how much I want to fix it up. I bought that truck at 220,000 miles and it never gave me problems. Over two years I put over 80k miles on it and she still kept running. I moved from Oregon and had to sell it. My heart felt heavy as hell. In Arizona, I looked for one but couldn't find one. When my GF and I decided to move to Idaho because, we started becoming very concerned with how things are looking globally and our chances of survival would be limited due to lack of natural resources. 

When we moved to Idaho we both found jobs and one day I was driving her to work and I saw this truck parked in someones driveway. I looked online to see if it was for sale and couldn't find anything. One day driving past it my gf said to me I should just go up and see if the person wants to sell it. Well, you can see they decided to sell it because, of the sheer enthusiasm I showed. The owner was very open and honest with the problems and told me he had not started it for over 5 years. Before I bought it I brought my tools over and got it to run in about 15 minutes.  Test drove it for about 20 minutes and was handed him my money. 

That was about two weeks ago. So far, I've done a complete fluid change, belt change, and cleaned her up on the inside. She is my daily driver as of today.

I currently and wondering if anyone has a rough cold start? When she sits over night and I start her she idles really really rough. I mean like I have to press the pedal for about 25-30 seconds to keep her to stay at 1,000 rpm. However, the second it's warmed up I can barely hear the engine. Any thoughts on what it could be?

Also, I don't know if its due to the King Cab edition but does anyone else have one that has super slow acceleration? I am talking 0-50 in about 35 seconds. 

E_k2Iq0VcAMLGYL?format=jpg&name=small

• Like 1
  • Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

When cold, take the top off the air filter. Choke flap should be partly closed. Step on gas the flap should snap closed, does it?

The 720 4x4 is heavy. This is the only year the L20B was used. All other years there were engines with bigger displacement. The Z series have a longer stroke and a bit more torque so yes, the '80 will be a little slow. It might just need a good tune up to get the most out of it.

You used GL-4 oil in the transmission?

13 hours ago, datzenmike said:

When cold, take the top off the air filter. Choke flap should be partly closed. Step on gas the flap should snap closed, does it?

The 720 4x4 is heavy. This is the only year the L20B was used. All other years there were engines with bigger displacement. The Z series have a longer stroke and a bit more torque so yes, the '80 will be a little slow. It might just need a good tune up to get the most out of it.

I will test that out in the morning when it's cold and get back to you. 

It is far heavier than my first 1980. I had another 1980 datsun 720 but it was not the 4x4 edition. Tune up so far included;

New spark plugs, new spark plug wires, distributor cap, ignition coil, air filter, Engine oil/filter, fuel filter, radiator fluid, and temp gauge. 

On the list for the next 2 weeks is;

Transmission fluid, brake fluid, brake pads, drum brakes, vacuum lines, valve cover seal (don't know the proper term), and some interior work. 

I want to try to have her completely fixed up and rolling "dirty" by the end of winter. 

22 hours ago, datzenmike said:

Hey, 

So you must be in the ether or something giving out good datsun vibes. So last night it got down to about 50 or so (I live in Idaho) and this morning I woke up eagerly to check the engine for what you asked. When I opened the air filter and had my gf press the gas the choke did not budge an MM when the engine was off. The second she gave it 3 pumps and turned the engine over the choke flag closed and it actually idled at around 800-1,000 RPMs. NO shaking no rocking no nothing. everytime she hit the gas while it was on the choke flap closed. This was literally the first time since I got the truck that it started and idled nicely in the morning.