Doors must be slammed to latch

Arifaeth

Hey, so I just bought this 69 521, and I've noticed, I either have to shove the doors very hard directly over the latch, or slam the doors to get them to latch all the way, or else they latch, but I can just about shove my finger in the gap. Any ideas? Just needs an adjustment? Or replacement of something?

• Like 1
  • Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, datzenmike said:

Does the the door  jump up into position when shut? Hinges are worn out.

It does not, hinges are strong, door goes right into the latch, but driver side must be slammed, passenger door can be shoved to latch all the way, they both latch half way, so I cant pull it open, but it has a gap, and of I shove or reopen and slam, it will shut all the way

• Like 1

Cab is warped sell it to me!  LOL

Seriously, it is either out of adjustment but most likely the hinges are worn.   I just replaced the hole latch assembly on a 71 521 I sold to a guy because it broke from him slamming the door.  The door needed adjustment.

1 hour ago, datzenmike said:

Open the window and try it. Probably just too air tight.

It does it with window all the way down, I think I'm gonna check out all my seals, I guess it could also be maybe the door seal is stiff? The truck has sat for a good bit, and from what I could see they were pretty old.

• Like 1
6 hours ago, Arifaeth said:

It does it with window all the way down, I think I'm gonna check out all my seals, I guess it could also be maybe the door seal is stiff? The truck has sat for a good bit, and from what I could see they were pretty old.

Previous owner might have installed in correct seals.

6 minutes ago, mklotz70 said:

have you checked the factory manual for the adjustment?  http://www.bluehandsinc.com/manuals.html

Maybe Mike and Charlie will remember....there was a swap at one point......Ranger door seals??  They made the door do that when they were used.  Maybe the PO used those on your truck.

Maybe, but the door seals on here are all cracked and old, so I'm starting to think the issue is it doesn't compress to hold it latched it just hits old hard rubber and doesn't wanna go the rest of the way, which could mean I may be bending the top of my door Everytime I slam it, maybe I'll just pull the out and find out, I'm gonna replace them at some point anyway, so I'll pull it out after I order them, so it doesn sit in the rain with no door gaskets. Where would I find proper replacements?

• Like 1
17 minutes ago, mklotz70 said:

When the door is fully closed and latched, does the door skin sit flush with the body panels?

After I slam it shut it does yes, if I shut it without slamming it latches but doesn't sit flush, also the front fender has dented the door s little bit, but the door doesn't stay open at any point, it swings freely, so I think the part in the door hinges that is supposed to "ratchet" kinda is gone or something, unless these door never did that.

5 minutes ago, Charlie69 said:

I know Wayno got a set from the junk yard.  Wayno will most likely post a reply to this thread.  I would buy new after market door seals.

Here is a link to Wayno's profile.  PM him with your questions by clicking on the mail envelope icon.

https://ratsun.net/profile/5657-wayno/

Alright, would you know the best place for aftermarket seals?

• Like 1
21 minutes ago, Arifaeth said:

Alright, would you know the best place for aftermarket seals?

Carefully buying door seals, the ones on ebay have the right profile but the material is not the same as the original... it does not compress the same.... I abandoned the factory seals and just used some generic stuff from mcmaster-carr....

In the door hinge there is a spring clip that does helps hold the door open, they tend to break over time....

check my thread " a 521 in Massachusetts "  I just made 8 sets and shipped them out.... if you go back a couple pages you'll see what i mean .... I'm in the process of getting more metal to possibly make 12 more sets, if you need a set send me a private message....

• Like 1
9 minutes ago, Crashtd420 said:

Carefully buying door seals, the ones on ebay have the right profile but the material is not the same as the original... it does not compress the same.... I abandoned the factory seals and just used some generic stuff from mcmaster-carr....

In the door hinge there is a spring clip that does helps hold the door open, they tend to break over time....

check my thread " a 521 in Massachusetts "  I just made 8 sets and shipped them out.... if you go back a couple pages you'll see what i mean .... I'm in the process of getting more metal to possibly make 12 more sets, if you need a set send me a private message....

What if I just get like a roll of generic door seal rubber, that's the right width?

• Like 1
14 minutes ago, Arifaeth said:

What if I just get like a roll of generic door seal rubber, that's the right width?

Thats basically what I did...

Get something that has the welt seal as part of it... the welt seal is what attaches it to the metal around the door opening....

I'll try to find what I bought and let you know.... it's about 95% seal in my opinion.... couple spots seemed a little wierd but good enough for my truck.....

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, Crashtd420 said:

Thats basically what I did...

Get something that has the welt seal as part of it... the welt seal is what attaches it to the metal around the door opening....

I'll try to find what I bought and let you know.... it's about 95% seal in my opinion.... couple spots seemed a little wierd but good enough for my truck.....

Welt seal? Is that like the thin metal crimp going all the way around? Or a type of adhesive seal?

• Like 1