1986 SouthAfrican 720 KingCab 4X4

Hi, I'm from Johannesburg, South Africa and recently bought a Nissan 720 KingCab from a friend (been bugging him for 10 years to sell her :))

Its a 1986 model, one owner with 101k km on the clock (around 60k miles I think?)

Zero rust, as nothing really rusts up here, one or two minor small dents, but in great shape.

Bakkie (thats what we call them down here) has been serviced religiously at Nissan every year (crazy I know) basically being an oil change and a tune up.

Basically I need help and advice on this car as nobody here seems to know much about them anymore, and getting spares is difficult if not impossible!

I would like to post a few pics of her, but have no idea as this?

Regards

Simon

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey Simon, welcome to Ratsun. We have lots of 720 owners with experience here. 

Australia used the L series engine in the 720 they got. Is yours the 8 plug Z series? Maybe a Z24??

If you have a home computer with pictures on it you can get a free account with one of many picture hosting sites and down load them there and store them. When needed you copy the picture information and bring it to your post and paste it there. If you have a hand held device, I can;t help but maybe someone else??

You can simply paste pictures directly into your post now as well. If you have any sort of image capturing program on your computer that allows you to draw a box around any thing on the screen and save it as an image you can do that and paste it into your post. I use Windows and there is a program already installed on most machines called "Snipping Tool" that works great.

Any pic from any website I can just simply tell the program to capture and whatever I draw a box around around gets put in my temporary memory for me to paste where ever I want.

You can also try hosting the pics on Flickr or Instagram and posting over from those websites.  See if that works.

Perhaps also try a different browser on your Mac?

What engine came in your truck?  What info are you looking to know?  Based on the service history you stated, your truck is going to be nicer than many of them on here.  I've owned like 5 or 6 720s and still have a couple, but mostly mine are hammered garbage.  I'm good at keeping them alive, but not so good at keeping them pretty.

Hi

I'll eventually get it right, will sort out the pic issue on the weekend when I have more time, I have a windows laptop, will try that?

All I know about the engine is that its a 2.4, where do I find out which version it is?

Basically I just want to neaten her up, yes she has been maintained, but needs that extra bit of "love" to get her back into the showroom condition that she's capable off.

For starters, the drivers seat has a tear in it which needs doing, also some idiot fitted 6x9 speakers in the doors, ideally I would like to replace those panels? Thankfully nobody cut the dash for a din size radio, it has an old shaft Becker in it (I have an old Pioneer to replace it)

I've been told that a new water pump is a good idea to start with? What else should be looked at on such an old car?

Regards

To be sure it's a Z24 and not been replaced with a similar Z20 or Z22 look between the two pair of exhaust manifold tubes, on the top edge of the block where the head meets it. There is a flat boss and the engine displacement is stamped there...

Q9xYbRS.jpg

If you have a single wing nut on the air filter you have a Z24(S) carburetor. If two wing nuts (and it may say Electro Injection) on the air filter top then you have a Z24i which has a throttle body fuel injection. S is carburetor, i is throttle body fuel injection

Over on the right side inner fender below the hood hinge is the engine plate info riveted on. It will show what was installed at the factory...

buF8TkE.jpg

• Like 2