Looking for good camshaft

KAIKZ720

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The Z series cams have the same specs as the earlier L series for stock lift and duration. The L series has enough 'meat' on the base circle that you can grind it down and get that much lift. I have one with 0.480", stock is 0.415 but this does not include the valve clearance loss. I don't think the Z series cams are as thick and may not allow it. Lift of 0.480 is very close to where the valve spring will bottom out or 'stack'.

There is huge support for the Z series in the Philippines, or was. Just know that the Z series port design is not good for making easy performance improvements like the earlier L series. Basically is does not breath very well above 4K. Red line is 6,250 so aim for good flow up to that. It does have a desirable hemi combustion chamber, cross flow ports and dual plugs. Z series are perfect engines for a turbo.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, datzenmike said:

The Z series cams have the same specs as the earlier L series for stock lift and duration. The L series has enough 'meat' on the base circle that you can grind it down and get that much lift. I have one with 0.480", stock is 0.415 but this does not include the valve clearance loss. I don't think the Z series cams are as thick and may not allow it. Lift of 0.480 is very close to where the valve spring will bottom out or 'stack'.

There is huge support for the Z series in the Philippines, or was. Just know that the Z series port design is not good for making easy performance improvements like the earlier L series. Basically is does not breath very well above 4K. Red line is 6,250 so aim for good flow up to that. It does have a desirable hemi combustion chamber, cross flow ports and dual plugs. Z series are perfect engines for a turbo.

Thank you for always coming in for help 🙏🏽

• Like 1