Need help identifying a KA engine

Hello, bit of backstory, I got ahold of an engine labeled "KA24" my friend had for a few years. He bought it remanufactured for his d21, but was never able to put it in. Now I have it and am looking to swap it into my 1980 510, and the engine is just a block and head, so I bought timing cover, oil pans, all that etc, and nothing quite fits, even though I bought them for a ka24e. I tried searching serial numbers I found but couldn't find anything, is this a version of the ka I didn't know about? Thanks, pictures are included, you can see the timing cover I bought is just barely off sadly.

IMG_20210902_145200275.jpg

IMG_20210902_145205919.jpg

IMG_20210902_152142516.jpg

IMG_20210902_152158525.jpg

IMG_20210902_152214558.jpg

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 hour ago, PoorPersonWithADatsun said:

IMG_20210902_145200275.jpg

IMG_20210902_145205919.jpg

IMG_20210902_152158525.jpg

Looks like a KA except for the left and right front parts sticking out. Also to me, looks like a car block. Look at the top edge of the block just below the head, between the two pair of exhaust ports. 

6O4bkly.jpg

Where it says Z22 it should say KA24 on yours.

I think I have it mostly figured out, i believe this is the fwd version of the engine for the early 90s stanza, looks like the distributor goes in the back of the head. So I suppose my new question would be how difficult would it be to swap this into my datsun? Apart from the distributor ending up in my dashboard would the engine mounts line up etc? Thanks!

Yup totally forgot about the '90-'92 Stanza. They were the only KA24E to have an internal crankshaft driven oil pump so you would need a Stanza front cover and the engine mount bosses may not be drilled and tapped for the engine mount brackets. Well I learned something today!

Well I'm in a bit of a tricky situation now. It seems like this install will be quite a bit more expensive and complicated than before. I already have a nice set of R1 carbs with a manifold for the engine. Would you think it's a better idea to either sell this ka engine (I didn't pay anything for it anyways) and do a rebuild and install the R1 carbs on my current Z20, or just endure the pain and convert this KA to rwd? Unfortunately I'm on quite the budget. Also the stanza ka seems to have this external water pump that I cannot in any way find one for sale, the housing side not the pump side. Also, I can't find anything on a oil pump for the engine either, I'm thinking it'll be more worth while to rebuild the old engine, this is my only car so I don't really want to put a slapped together fwd to rwd conversion in it.

The oil pump is internal. It's on the end of the crankshaft inside the timing cover.

External water pump??? Another nail in the coffin. Free is not always cheap. Get rid of it.

I have R1s on my L20B and they run very well. Z20 is basically an L20B block and crank but with 6" long rods and flattop pistons. Is it from an A10 or from a newer 720?

While FWD to RWD conversions have been done before, its rarely worth the money and effort.  Anything you get out of that engine is gravy, so just take that money and then decide how you want to proceed?   options include buying a 1990 or newer d21, rebuilding what you have, building up a z22 or z24.  Not many people are big fans of the Z series engines, but I like them.  I like low end torque over high end hp.  Z series only breathe to about 5K but compared to an L they will pull tree stumps up to about 4K.  I have a z22 in my 510, and a couple spare z24s laying around.

Swap cranks for front CAS drive, modify d21 front cover if necessary to make it seal, install d21 valve cover with half moon plug to seal the CAS hole in the head, that should be enough to seal the motor and place the CAS at the front instead of in the head.

It can be done.  It just isn't usually worth it.

• Like 1