Starter tooth count

None_zero

24 minutes ago, None_zero said:

yes thats what I'm getting click but no whirring. And damn that is a good tip on keeping the cap loose I didn't even think of reducing the pressure in the system... would I need to be concerned about most of my coolant blowing out the top with it like that and me overheating?

Well if it has a serious boiling over problem nothing will stop it. This would slow down a hose leak. If running normally, some may piss out and be saved by the overflow container but only till the rad lowered a few inches. A real worry with moderate to severe boil over is the coolant level inside of the head is low enough for it to over heat and warp. Can easily blow the head gasket too. Aluminum is very bad for this.

• Like 2
  • Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

12 hours ago, None_zero said:

You mean from a local dealer or on nissan website? I don't think I've ever bought anything directly from nissan odd as that is for a guy who has driven 8 different nissans over the years lol

I looked up the part number online and then went to my local dealer. A couple of days later I had the new hose. It’s surprising sometimes what the dealer can still get. I always look for a part number first though.

• Like 1

I got a few of the parts i ordered in today one being the oil pressure sender. It seems to only be generally designed to accept a socket or wrench how tight do i need to have that installed is it just finger tight with man hands or grab with channel locks and crank down?

• Like 1
On 9/7/2021 at 4:37 PM, NC85ST said:

The hose running from under the intake toward the rear of the engine is still available from Nissan. I had to replace mine at the beginning of the year. 

You wouldn't happen to still have the part number would you? Where would I find that information if you don't?

• Like 1
23 minutes ago, None_zero said:

I got a few of the parts i ordered in today one being the oil pressure sender. It seems to only be generally designed to accept a socket or wrench how tight do i need to have that installed is it just finger tight with man hands or grab with channel locks and crank down?

A deep socket should fit. As the threads are BSPT the socket may have to be in inches.

• Like 1
6 hours ago, NC85ST said:

It was about a year and a half ago that I bought it and if I remember right it was $10-12 from the dealer. By the foot is always cheaper, but since it was available and the factory hose lasted about 35 years, I figured I would go with it.

Good, my info says $13

• Like 1
On 9/11/2021 at 5:31 PM, NC85ST said:

The picture is just for parts reference to make sure that that’s the one. It’s an oddball size. 3/4” is small, difficult to attach under the manifold and 1” is to big. I went to the dealer for the part.

I had the same issue 3/4 is too much of a stretch and the 1" is just shy of snug. I ended up just getting 1' of 1" and am hoping the clamps will keep it tight enough not to leak. Haven't put everything back together yet and still waiting on my 9 tooth starter so it may be tomorrow before I can try everything out

• Like 1

Update: got the new starter with 9 teeth this time. Only thing is its a little fatter and the posts are swapped so that the opposite post goes to the battery. And it doesn't start... when hit the ignition it makes a muted clicking sound and the tachometer jumps a little and nothing happens. I started it by dumping the clutch but it was barely turning over with the pedal to the floor and died as soon as I let off whats the problem here? I'm at my wits end?

Update: got the new starter with 9 teeth this time. Only thing is its a little fatter and the posts are swapped so that the opposite post goes to the battery. And it doesn't start... when hit the ignition it makes a muted clicking sound and the tachometer jumps a little and nothing happens. I started it by dumping the clutch but it was barely turning over with the pedal to the floor and died as soon as I let off whats the problem here? I'm at my wits end?..... maybe solved the not running issue (forgot to b plug the t shaped plug into the side of the carburetor.) Won't know for sure till I can roll it again. And I'm at the bottom of the hill for now. Still have the starter issue for sure though