1984 Nissan 720 Alternator - What is this part?

bluexl

Hey all,

What is this cylinder looking part (See Image) that connects to the BATT termoinal on the Alternator? I purchased a new alternator and it did not include it. Was I supposed to swap it from theold one alternator to the new alternator? Can a new one be ordered?

20210831_221811

Thanks!

• Like 1
  • Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

8 hours ago, KELMO said:

condenser and or noise suppressor for the radio

Thank you.

The new Alternator does not have it and installed it without it, but the Battery light came on. It was brighter when I stepped on the gas, but it would not turn off. I put the old Alternator back on and the problem stopped. Does the new alternator require me to put this part on it? Or is it just a bad alternator?

Thanks.

• Like 1

'New' alternators are not new and are barely cleaned, with bearings and brushes changed. It's called re manufactured and why they are $60 when a dealer original are close to $400. It's not uncommon for 50% to be 'bad in the box'.

If your old one works why are you putting this 'thing' in???

Never throw the old one away if original or turn it in for the casting. It can always be properly rebuilt.

• Like 1
20 hours ago, datzenmike said:

'New' alternators are not new and are barely cleaned, with bearings and brushes changed. It's called re manufactured and why they are $60 when a dealer original are close to $400. It's not uncommon for 50% to be 'bad in the box'.

If your old one works why are you putting this 'thing' in???

Never throw the old one away if original or turn it in for the casting. It can always be properly rebuilt.

So to clarify, the old one went into my 85' 4x4. That is why I still had the old one. The new one went into the 84' Sunrader. The one that was in the 4x4 was bad and it was turned in as a core. I wish I would have known that it was better to keep it. I can exchange the new one as it has a lifetime warranty, but does the fact that it does not have the "condenser and or noise suppressor for the radio" make a difference? Do I still need this part?

Thanks.

You can run with or without I never seen to notice the difference. I think today's electronics filter out the noise on the +12 anyway. Will it cause this problem, I don't think so.

Lifetime warranty sounds good but it doesn't pay for the tow home or being left stranded in a sketchy ghetto while picking up some crack, at night... in the rain. It doesn't pay for lost wages. It doesn't pay for your time to replace it in the snow or the taxi to take it in for the replacement and then back home again. I know people who are on their 4th alternator and they think they are getting away with something. It's way cheaper to buy a good one, (if there are any) or get a used original one from a wrecking yard.

• Like 2
2 hours ago, datzenmike said:

You can run with or without I never seen to notice the difference. I think today's electronics filter out the noise on the +12 anyway. Will it cause this problem, I don't think so.

Lifetime warranty sounds good but it doesn't pay for the tow home or being left stranded in a sketchy ghetto while picking up some crack, at night... in the rain. It doesn't pay for lost wages. It doesn't pay for your time to replace it in the snow or the taxi to take it in for the replacement and then back home again. I know people who are on their 4th alternator and they think they are getting away with something. It's way cheaper to buy a good one, (if there are any) or get a used original one from a wrecking yard.

Thank you. This is good advice. I will look for one.

I have an outstanding local electronics rebuilder so a a wrecking yard alternator can be bought for $40 and fully rebuild with high quality workmanship for as little as $60, that brings my brand new alternator cost to $100 and those are extremely reliable.

• Like 2

That is what I do I hoard factory alternators and starters and have a local rebuilder rebuild them.  Gen-Star is the company I have used for decades and they will take in your shipped alternators and starters rebuild them and ship them back to you.  Click on the link abve and it takes you to ther contact page.

• Like 1