Floating wrist Pins stock Pistons

AIShelby

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The pins are already 'floating' in pistons. It's the rod ends that the pins are pressed into. I started to assemble an LZ23 big bore with KA24E pistons from an S12. The pistons are already grooved in the pin boss for C clips to keep the pin from hitting the cylinder walls. I needed to enlarge the L20B/Z22 rod ends so the pin would 'float'.

EgflhsA.jpg

I used a wheel cylinder hone and sized the rod ends with that. Takes a lot of time but the pins just barely slide in and turn.

Below, I drilled and chamfered a hole on the tops to allow splash oiling of the pin.

nuW6OI1.jpg

On the inside I scored a small groove to help spread the oil.

L2HyUzA.jpg

IIRC the KA and the L20B/Z22 pins were the same length. 

Mike,

Thanks for the reply. The pistons I want to use on this build don't have groves for clips.  I have a set of I beam rods that I want to use that are for full floating.  Its either machine groves for clips or use shorter wrist pins and buttons. Set an e mail to Ross but, no reply yet.

Ahhh. I think there is enough room for clips but buttons are probably much thicker. I think I would like to keep the pins their original length and full contact patches on the piston pin bosses. The C clip grooves don't have to be anything special, you could almost cut them with a dremel.