1996 Isuzu Rodeo seat swap into '84 720 with custom original inserts

bluexl

We had some really good looking seats in our 84' 720 Sunrader. The cab looked really good, minus the console, which we are working on at the moment. But the seats were definitely not comfortable, something we learned when we first bought it and drove it home 7 hours. Being that it is an RV and we have several long distance trips that we have taken and plan to keep taking, we decided to swap them out for Isuzu Rodeo seats. The seats are a direct bolt in swap and the comfort/support is a huge difference, but we really hated to change the way the door panels and seat upholstery matched. So, below is what we did. Photo one is what the seats look like now.

Photo 1.

20210828_155137

Photo 2.

20210828_155156

Photo 3.

20210828_155200

I also took the seat bolt covers from the donor car as you can see in Photo 4. I used a plastic die to color all seat plastic: SEM Products 15173 Camel Color Coat - 12 oz.

It turned out pretty good and we will see how the color holds up, but I used it to restore the steering wheel plastic and its has looked good for the last 4 months. The black cable that you see in Photo 4 (bottom left) is for the seat warmers which are on both the seat bottom and the back/lumbar section. I have not wired those in, but will update when they are wired working.

Photo 4.

20210828_155021

In photos 5 and 6 you can see what we started with for both the 720 OG seat and the Isuzu Rodeo Seat.

Photo 5.

20210813_143126

Photo 6.

20210813_132342

n photo 7 you can see what the plastic portion of the seats looked like before it was removed and painted.

Photo 7.

20210823_142256

The seats are a direct bolt on, but to properly adjust the seat position as it pertains to sliding forwards and backwards, you will need to flip the ECU box upside down, and bend the rear screw mounting backet downwards so the the seat can move feerly. (See Photo 8).

Photo 8.

20210826_094820

Overall, we are happy with the comfort upgrade, and love that we did not change too much of the original styling. I know the DAtsun/Nissan purists might be cringing, but its a Sunrader, so its already outside of the 720 purist box if such a thing exists.

Thanks for looking.

• Like 2
  • Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• datzenmike changed the title to 1996 Isuzu Rodeo seat swap into '84 720 with custom original inserts

That looks great, nice to have seats that can just bolt in ... after some detail work.  What did you use to dye the seats? I will most likely have to do the same when I get new seats for my daughters 720.

Question about this option ... what years of the Rodeos will bolt up?  I have a scrap yard with a pair of 2001 models that would be good for picking up a set.

• Like 1
10 hours ago, Gofer said:

That looks great, nice to have seats that can just bolt in ... after some detail work.  What did you use to dye the seats? I will most likely have to do the same when I get new seats for my daughters 720.

Question about this option ... what years of the Rodeos will bolt up?  I have a scrap yard with a pair of 2001 models that would be good for picking up a set.

The plastic die that I used is: SEM Products 15173 Camel Color Coat - 12 oz.

Like @Charlie69said, take some measurements. I personally looked for a 96 to 99, and found a 96 at a scrap yard near me. But if you read through the post below from @mx71you can read some of the experiences from other members. I had no issues with my seats. They fit perfectly for me.

• Like 2

Nice work.  I had my Rodeo driver seat reupholstered inside and out and now it is like a dream even after driving for hours, though yes it is a little higher.  Put a Neon seat for the passenger side, sits high and not as comfortable but was cheap and did not need to be reupholstered.  Works great with my kid's child seat too.

• Like 1