Front damage 86 Nissan 720

Going to post some pics, also straying away from my "build thread" to post here in body/interior. I have some front end damage from kissing the ass of a 2012 Toyota Tacoma in a parking lot about 8 years ago (truck sat for 7 years starting a year later)

I haven't yet pulled the fender off, but i do know the bumper is bent, brackets, and the radiator support may have moved a little bit. The inner fender bulges slightly inward, and there's a little crease in the wheel well area. Of course the marker light is gone too. I'm pulling it apart this weekend because I don't like the $1000 dollar body shop quotes to fix it, not even including paint or parts (I have most the parts). I was looking at it last night and it looks like I can fix it myself. It really doesn't look like the radiator support moved much at all, mainly may have just twisted up slightly, and the tab the grille attaches to bent. If anything, removing the charcoal canister and the bracket the coils are mounted to, whacking it with a dead blow hammer, and worse case using a strap tied to a tree and roll it back in reverse should fix it.

20210406_154422.jpg

20210406_154626.jpg

20210821_104914.jpg

20210406_154342.jpg

20210406_154324.jpg

20210406_154316.jpg

20210406_154307.jpg

Edited by A guy named Rick
Added pics
  • Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Looks worse than it is. Very low speed impact too. Most the force was on the corner of the fender and then the bumper i think hit the hitch receiver on his truck. I think the fender honestly just shifted up and bent outwards. Looking at the bolts, you can see the outline where they were. the amount moved is consistent with first pic showing that it shifted upward.

well, got everything back together and it looks decent, obviously no where near perfect because i don't do body work. umm, question: are King cab and regular cab wheelbase the same, just a shorter bed? Or, from looking at pics, is the bed longer behind the wheels vs being longer towrds the cab? Because i started thinking, if i found a clean king cab and bed, since i like doing things the hard way, i would buy it, swap it over freshly painted. But like i said, I do things the hard way.

Edited by A guy named Rick

The regular cab is a short wheel base truck. Small cab and small box. The regular cab with a long box is a long wheelbase truck. The king cab and small box is also a long wheelbase truck. Basically the difference in lengths of a reg and a King Cab is the same as the difference in lengths of a long and a regular box.

5 minutes ago, datzenmike said:

The regular cab is a short wheel base truck. Small cab and small box. The regular cab with a long box is a long wheelbase truck. The king cab and small box is also a long wheelbase truck. Basically the difference in lengths of a reg and a King Cab is the same as the difference in lengths of a long and a regular box.

That's what i was afraid of. Sorry, never seen the 2 side by side so i wasn't sure. If i found a straight regular cab shell for cheap, i'd probably swap it over. i'd have to pay a body shop anyways to line up the front, may as well make a project for myself instead. Probably do a KA24E or KA24DE swap at the same time.