74 620 Lower Radiator Hose Differences: 211503-B5510 vs B8000

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually I have to research what I actually did in my 620 when I put the $120 new aluminum w/plastic tanks radiator in.  I think it may have been for a L20B.  I had to cut up the shroud to clear the distributor I think.

But the gist of all this was that while the bottom fitting on this alum radiator was in the same place, it was more foreware so that the hose barb was above the crossmember -NOT protruding past it like the OE radiator.  It made tightening the bottom hose clamp a real bear.  And I seem to recall I cut some of the correct hose off to get better alternator clearance with the alum radiator - in fact the alternator external fan blades had actually ground into the hose just enough to expose the reinforcing threads - so I knew those hose was not long for this world.

I don't know why one of these hoses is called a "2-piece" at RockAuto.  Perhaps one has to cut to length the bottom radiator end?

What I really have to figure out is how to keep the fan bolts from loosening...

2 piece. Yes I have seen them. The hose had too many complicated bends to fit around the alternator. There was a short length of pipe to join them and this allowed some twisting adjustments before tightening both clamps. I thought the previous owner combined two pipes but the connector pipe was beaded. Looked stock.

2 hours ago, datzenmike said:

2 piece. Yes I have seen them. The hose had too many complicated bends to fit around the alternator. There was a short length of pipe to join them and this allowed some twisting adjustments before tightening both clamps. I thought the previous owner combined two pipes but the connector pipe was beaded. Looked stock.

Do you have to clamp where the two pieces are joined to the pipe?  (do they supply special clamps or ?)

Yes it had ordinary hose clamps. The pipe was 2" long enough to slip both ends on. The pipe was beaded so I assume it was factory. You can rotate the hoses relative to each other and push the hoses on till they touch or 1/2" apart to suit a better fit around the alternator. I can't find this in my parts call out but it's genius. Also some hoses have a rubber sleeve near the alternator.

23 hours ago, datzenmike said:

I just got the "2-piece" hose from RockAuto and it is 1-piece.  I guess maybe you trim the end for different applications.

I also got a smaller belt so the alternator adjustment ear is midway in the slot - BIG clearance problem solved.