510 radiator reference recommendations

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That is for the 521 which does have the L16 engine. I think they are the same size as the 510... probably fit.

Well if you can find an old VW Rabbit radiator from the late '70s...http://dimequarterly.blogspot.com/2011/09/tech-how-to-installing-aluminum-vw.html

I have a champion but a 3 core

you will need to put a 1/4 spacer between the core  support and the radiator.  Electric fan is not needed unless you live in the south of France.

I believe the KOYOS need a spacer also as the radiator will hit the upper lip of the core support

I have a OPL brand radiator(looked same as a Champion) and was bad from the start I had to run a 160 stat in it if anything higher it leaked really bad. My Champion I got now is better then the OPL brand.

KOYO is expensive $$$$

510 and 521 use the same radiators

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi

I will finally go for Koyo rad HH02598 for my 510.

Before taking the pretty expensive plunge (will buy in US = ship + VTA = €€€), i did take a look at radiator dimensions and also check within angine bay for the fitting...

Looks like a tight fitting!

For my peace of mind, can anybody share installation feedback of this rad?

No surprises???

Thanks

8 hours ago, Labubre said:

Hi

I will finally go for Koyo rad HH02598 for my 510.

Before taking the pretty expensive plunge (will buy in US = ship + VTA = €€€), i did take a look at radiator dimensions and also check within angine bay for the fitting...

Looks like a tight fitting!

For my peace of mind, can anybody share installation feedback of this rad?

No surprises???

Thanks

I've got two of these installed. The areas of concern are the lower rad hose can be tight to the alternator pulley. Use a shorter belt if needed. The second part is that the standoffs that connect the radiator to the core support need to be shimmed out about 4-5mm. It's very minor, use a few washers. 

It's a great radiator.

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...

Here is my koyorad installed

SideView.jpg

Top-Passenger-Side.jpg

Grille-Passenger-SIde.jpg

Perhaps you will see on last pic above that my mechanic choose to cut metal a little bit behing grille on passenger side, matter of pulling away the rad from the alternator.

He also had to cut lips around the grille from inside engine bay to get the rad as close as possible from the metal.

It worked...so i am a happy guy!

Photos working for me as well.

You may want to look into sealing around the edges where the radiator meets the body.  Gaps there allow air to pass through that does not go through the radiator and reduces cooling. 

Edited by iceman510
  • Like 1
17 hours ago, iceman510 said:

Photos working for me as well.

You may want to look into sealing around the edges where the radiator meets the body.  Gaps there allow air to pass through that does not go through the radiator and reduces cooling. 

good point!