distributor base confusion

Oilspot

Can anybody explain why the distributor baseplate has adv/ retard markings, but that piece is totally adjustable to how it sits on the distributor?

I've got a single point 510 distributor. This video says I have the correct base for the distributor for the base that I'm running. Am I supposed to get the timing correct, and then adjust how the plate is oriented to the distributor so the lines match up??? 

It's been weeks since I've had any time to work on this thing. 

I'm missing something because I can't get it to start and run strong. Great compression. New distributor, points set correct, new plugs. Even if I botched the carb rebuild somehow it should still rev out with a little starting fluid. It's really bugging me that the OG dual point baseplate is notched so that the timing could be advanced more. 

I'll be honest.... I'm fucking frustrated with some other crap going on in my life and I just want this little truck to run. It's hard to diagnose etc when my heads all over the damn place!!!! 

anyhow.... after venting there for a moment. I just need some piece of mind that i'm setting up the damn distributor base correctly!

Edited by Oilspot
  • Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If you have single points. Set the timing per the manual and that's it. The markings are superfluous. If you had dual pints, that would be different. The marking are for setting the 4? degree difference between the first and second set opening points.

Thank you for clearing that up!!! Stepped back, took a deep breath, hammered down a few negro modelos and just started going through the ignition system one piece at a time. Seems I had something outta whack. Not sure exactly what it was but the trucks a runner now, and damn it runs smooth! 

I went ahead and centered the stupid base plate markings. Theyll come in handy for mountain driving. 

• Like 2