Known spring? (found in 510 oil pan)

2 hours ago, skyy said:

OK,

I got a fresh built L16 short block with forged Kameari internals (rods & flat top pistons) and full ARP, Kameari timing set with idler gear, upgraded pump, Kameari ignition, all pulleys, headgasket, Flywheel & clutch, Alternator & Starter. Additionally a peanut head with new cam followers. But the Head needs an overhaul yet (valves & seats too). A new set of 40mm side draft Mikunis but have to source the matching manifold. Got also a 4in1 header which looks bit crappy but apparantly what you get today. All parts new. And a used 4speed box to make it a whole.

This was not cheap but hey rationality got relative these days ^^

Gonna post pics once I got it home

cheers!

I love when the L16 gets some love ... never worth it but I love it....

I have an L16, with wiseco dome pistons, h-beam rods and all arp using a w53 head with reground cam.... 2nd gear pulls getting on the highway are the best..... 

Troy Ermish sells a beautiful header... its for a 510,  I have wanna buy one but I'm not sure it fit a 521, it should since I deleted the torsion bars....

https://www.ermish-racing.com/exhaust-systems-mufflers-headers

Screenshot_20210822-114109_Chrome.jpg

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

3 hours ago, skyy said:

OK,

I got a fresh built L16 short block with forged Kameari internals (rods & flat top pistons) and full ARP, Kameari timing set with idler gear, upgraded pump, Kameari ignition, all pulleys, headgasket, Flywheel & clutch, Alternator & Starter. Additionally a peanut head with new cam followers. But the Head needs an overhaul yet (valves & seats too). A new set of 40mm side draft Mikunis but have to source the matching manifold. Got also a 4in1 header which looks bit crappy but apparantly what you get today. All parts new. And a used 4speed box to make it a whole.

This was not cheap but hey rationality got relative these days ^^

Gonna post pics once I got it home

cheers!

Closed chamber head actually works best with flattops. This is basically what the L16SSS engine has. The closed chamber head has a larger combustion chamber so would normally drop the compression into low 8s but flattops counter this and increase to 9.3. In addition, the piston and the underside of the head are only the crushed head gasket thickness apart, about 1.2mm. The air caught between the two at TDC is violently compressed and pushed into the combustion chamber promoting swirl and turbulence further mixing the fuel and air and reducing hot spots.

Make sure the valve seats are replaced with hardened steel ones. The original ones, intakes, I think, were a phosphor bronze alloy that was soft and would wear if not for the lead additive in gas. No more lead so you need to switch if you have these.

I think this is why my intakes are a yellow color...

fLTUVOI.jpg

On 8/22/2021 at 6:33 PM, datzenmike said:

Closed chamber head actually works best with flattops. This is basically what the L16SSS engine has. The closed chamber head has a larger combustion chamber so would normally drop the compression into low 8s but flattops counter this and increase to 9.3. In addition, the piston and the underside of the head are only the crushed head gasket thickness apart, about 1.2mm. The air caught between the two at TDC is violently compressed and pushed into the combustion chamber promoting swirl and turbulence further mixing the fuel and air and reducing hot spots.

Make sure the valve seats are replaced with hardened steel ones. The original ones, intakes, I think, were a phosphor bronze alloy that was soft and would wear if not for the lead additive in gas. No more lead so you need to switch if you have these.

I think this is why my intakes are a yellow color...

Yeah a squish like in 2stroke heads. Will have to inspect the head. probably gonna change Seats and the Guides too. Maybe larger Valves IF available. Wanted to go for a Kelford mild street cam but +10weeks lead time:( so I'll go with the SSS cam...

Do you know if Weber and Mikunis share the same velocity stacks?