My thoughts on my rental (2021 Nissan Armada fully loaded)

So a few weeks back while I was at my boat dock someone backed their boat and trailer into my ram 3500 not once, not twice, not three times, but four times because you know once you hit it the first time you might as well really commit. 

Anyway so I drop it off at the shop and Enterprise brought me a brand new Nissan Armada.  I guess they had to buy an entire new fleet cause they sold it all off during 2020 to stay afloat.  The truck is metallic grey and looks fantastic.  It had just under 50 miles on it (very important for later) and the leather and wood grain all had that new smell.  All I could say was wow nice.  I hopped in really stoked as my truck has cloth seats and outside of A/C the options stop there I mean it’s a work truck after all.  So I started going down the road and it seemed to ride nice right up until I got to the twisties on the back roads by my house.  I suddenly felt like I was driving the e350 conversion van from the 90’s with 200k miles from when I was 18 doing ikea furniture assembly.  The body roll was awful.  Trying to still give it a fair shake I wrote it off as well the vehicle is real top heavy and the V8 has some balls to it so I can look past it... and then I hit a bump...  now it’s well documented how bad the bump steer can be on a 510.  Let’s be honest though that’s a vehicle from the late 60’s though so it’s not a surprise.  This brand new Armada though has way worse bump steer though I mean to the point of trying to link you into oncoming traffic bad.  What’s worse is unlike the 510 it doesn’t weight just over 2k lbs it weighs like 6k lbs and is top heavy making it extremely unstable.  Oh and then there is the annoying two sets of three honks when you say leave the car running and step out of the car and close the door that I just hate lol...

Now I know it’s no secret ever since I owned a brand new rogue for three months before trading it in on a Mercedes that I’m not a huge new Nissan fan but to be fair most of that negativity came from a dealership that lied about what options were supposed to be on that rogue and not the car itself so I really did want to like this suv even though because usually I get some piece for a rental but I just can’t in good conscience say this is a good car.  No, the Armada just reminds me of that video of the 50’s willy’s Jeep bouncing down a grassy hill before flipping over end over end to demonstrate its instability.  Maybe this was just a poorly assembled one cause every manufacturer has a few lemons but if this is what Nissan is building it is no wonder the company has serious problems not to mention a bad future outlook.  They really need to take a page out of the Datsun book and even the Godzilla era and start building vehicles like that again.  Who knows maybe they were always like this and I was just jaded by the cool factor of those era’s.  I mean after all I do own an RX7 and yes it still has a rotary which with all the issues I would never swap for some piston engine cause... well... the Mazda goes mmmmmmmm!

• Like 2
  • Replies 0
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic