JohnPaul06

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Part of the equation is your age. 

When I was much younger with a young family I drove a standard cab 620 and it worked just fine. At the time I was 6’-3” tall and 195 pounds.  Sat in a King cab back then and it had more leg room. 

Now much older and stiffer in all the wrong places, I don’t think so. Short trips probably okay but a long ones?

Been looking for another 620 and I’m in a dilemma. The king cab would be my choice but they came out after 1975, which means biannual smog test and requirements here. 

Other then the smog issue, King cab

• Like 3

I'm 6'3" and have a 521. I like the looks/novelty of it. It's tight and not great for long drives, but I would sell it before I converted it to a king cab, because, for me, it ruins the look. If I bought a 620 I'd go for the king cab because the 620 is already ugly 🤣

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

with a king cab you can hide your personal stuff behind the bucket seats, standard cabs have bench seats, not much room to hide your stuff. 

if your wanting a king cab, get a 78 or 79 cause they have front disc brakes, electronic ignition, might have a 5 speed, the 79 620 has intermitted wipers, 78's don't. 

good luck with your search what ever you get.  

• Like 4
On 8/9/2021 at 6:11 PM, ]2eDeYe said:

I am 6'0 and have no issue fitting in a standard cab. 

That said, I own Kingcabs lol

I too am 6ft 230 and require a king cab to be comfy. When I had a standard cab, I was 6ft 170 and did not have size issues. In the summer the blue vinyl bench seat would get hot enough to cook an egg. As I get older, I get stiffer and would hesitate to even try a standard cab. Getting into or out of my Sentra, I have to hold onto the door. What would benefit both the 620 and 720 king cabs would be a tilt wheel.

Has anyone posted a tutorial on how to make that happen?

The KC buckets are terrible, all Datsun buckets are. The thing is, newer seats are plush, supportive, comfortable over time and adjustable. Some even electric. Everything the stock ones are not, but they are, for the most part, thicker. There's a better chance of fitting one into a KC.

• Like 2
14 hours ago, RLJ said:

Nice!  With a vintage Yamaha DT1 or CT1 to play with once you get there. 

74 DT100 😄

11 hours ago, frankendat said:

I too am 6ft 230 and require a king cab to be comfy. When I had a standard cab, I was 6ft 170 and did not have size issues. In the summer the blue vinyl bench seat would get hot enough to cook an egg. As I get older, I get stiffer and would hesitate to even try a standard cab. Getting into or out of my Sentra, I have to hold onto the door. What would benefit both the 620 and 720 king cabs would be a tilt wheel.

Has anyone posted a tutorial on how to make that happen?

The 720 has a tilt option. 

I swapped a 720 column into the 4x4, but it has a toyota steering box so not as applicable. It is also non tilt as I kept all the 620 controls and covers. 

• Like 1
10 hours ago, ]2eDeYe said:

The 720 has a tilt option. 

I swapped a 720 column into the 4x4, but it has a toyota steering box so not as applicable. It is also non tilt as I kept all the 620 controls and covers. 

Can you describe, or take some pics of this swap? I want to do this and want to keep the 620 dash. The swap would be easier if I had pics to follow and didn't have to blaze a trail. I have a complete tilt column, with a slightly modified shroud from a different year column.

Don

Edited by 620slodat
  • 3 months later...

Not all 79 KC had intermittent wipers.
Mine did not come with that or a tach. I did get the "up to window" door cards, A/C,
tailgate panel, beauty rims ( # 19 ), no 5 speed, 4 speed with a 4.11 diff.
A lot of 720 parts can be used on a 78-79 620

DATSUN TAILGATE PANEL 010.JPG

BEAUTY RIMS.jpg

Edited by Goemon

Tach / clock was always an option I think all years.

The intermittent wiper, only on the '79 KC, isn't listed as an option, but maybe.

Tail gate inner liner was an option from May '76.

Wheel trim rings were an option on the KC from when it came out Feb '76

Air con was an option from '77 on.