Fram Filters?

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It definitely NOT a rumor. The quality is shit. Why would fuel filters be any different? For the same money get something else and you'll sleep better.

Will fram work? Absolutely! But why not get something better if it's available? Fram oil filters are for masking the oil filter boss when spray painting your engine block.

• Like 2

ALL fuel filters might be all made in same factory and fram just buys them and puts them in boxes. Might be no better or worse than anyone else's. Oil filters are made a cheaply as possible. Good for masking the block when painting

I've never had a problem with them.Been using them forever.My current work truck has 375,000 miles on it,original.My other truck has 200,000 on it.And if that's the Youtube video where the guy cuts all the other brands apart carefully and then does a hatchet job cutting the Fram up i wouldn't take it too seriously.Obviously a bias there.

Anti drain back valves???? Pfffft! For the life of me I can't see how oil is ever going to drain back through the oil pump gears and into the pan. The L series oil filter is on it's side so would only half empty, even if this is even remotely possible.

Who hasn't pulled the rod and mains off an old engine????? I pulled them off lots, some may have sat for decades and the bearing shells are covered in oil still.

• Like 1

The only filter I buy and will never be stranded from paper filters EVER again! I also build bikes and frankly a 20$ investment to potentially not have to push a 500 pound bike mote than 5 feet is a no brainer not to mention should anyone I know seeing me doing the walk of shame..nah im good. However if you are trying to keep your bay looking OG run the russell cleanable out of sight and keep the stock filter in place hogged out on the inside.https://www.jegs.com/i/Russell/799/645150/10002/-1

Edited by jbirds510
  • Like 1
7 hours ago, datzenmike said:

Anti drain back valves???? Pfffft! For the life of me I can't see how oil is ever going to drain back through the oil pump gears and into the pan. The L series oil filter is on it's side so would only half empty, even if this is even remotely possible.

Who hasn't pulled the rod and mains off an old engine????? I pulled them off lots, some may have sat for decades and the bearing shells are covered in oil still.

Say what you want. I noticed a big difference between filters on an engine that had a noisy top end, especially at initial startup.

• Like 2

L series? If noisy on start up it's the excessive cold valve lash. These don't have hydraulic lifters that need oil pressure to pump up. Maybe timing chain rattle? If there are differences likely it's the different pressure losses through the filter medium.

One day I'm going to gravity feed oil in the outlet side of an L series oil pump and wait to see if any seeps out the inlet. It's a positive displacement pump with close gear tolerances.

8 hours ago, datzenmike said:

L series? If noisy on start up it's the excessive cold valve lash. These don't have hydraulic lifters that need oil pressure to pump up. Maybe timing chain rattle? If there are differences likely it's the different pressure losses through the filter medium.

One day I'm going to gravity feed oil in the outlet side of an L series oil pump and wait to see if any seeps out the inlet. It's a positive displacement pump with close gear tolerances.

No, it was a Honda. Not sure what it was as it was always ticky even after a tune-up. It's still running with around 300k miles on it.

Maybe a 'Honda' thing. If you have ever heard a Chrysler starter from the '60s and '70s you'll know what I mean. It's very distinctive. I always shook my head when Jim Rockford jumps into his Firebird and there is a Chrysler starter sound before he drives off.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
3 hours ago, datzenmike said:

Maybe a 'Honda' thing. If you have ever heard a Chrysler starter from the '60s and '70s you'll know what I mean. It's very distinctive. I always shook my head when Jim Rockford jumps into his Firebird and there is a Chrysler starter sound before he drives off.

Maybe? Doesn't change that it was quieter at startup with a better quality filter 👍

• Like 1

Oil filters are somewhat restrictive. A better quality filter lets the oil through faster and in higher quantity is what I meant.

While on a 720 forum it was stated a couple of times that the Z series engines would make more noise when the oil (and filter) needed changing. There may be some truth to this.

• Like 1
9 hours ago, datzenmike said:

We have machine for dispensing cold liquor and it has a pump for the dispensing.  The pump sounds like a Chrysler starter.  Gets my dad every time, or did till I took it out because it was a piece of shit machine.

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

What I’ve always wondered is am I going to go in the store like ‘ok ratsun guys say don’t get a fram what Else do we have here’ then I grab some other brand, but what I end up buying is some other brand that is just a rebranded fram, or atleast just as shitty of quality? Is there any other brands to stay away from?

I use to use ac delco in my GM stuff Motorcraft on my Ford stuff and wix for everything else.  I noticed a while ago the ac delco stuff seem like it wasn't what it use to be so I just use wix on everything now.

I cut them open from time to time to check and make sure the quality is still there.

baldwin and wix are 2 of the best made and most consistent made filters 

napa gold are wix made 

nissan filters are also very good quality and still available 

not sure on others but there are comparisons you could look at on the internet 

I use WIX  oil filter 51515 on my 85 Nissan 720 4x4 2.4 engine and get them at Oreilly's and they just went up 2 bucks since my last oil change.I just changed my fuel filter,it got clogged up,it was a Auto Zone part.Only had it in there for 2 years,guess my gas tank had some trash in it,also changed filter in fuel pump,Weber filter was clean.When it clogged up,the engine wouldn't start.The one i replaced it with is from Oreilly's.I use the OEM fuel pump.