1988 Maxima Rear Calipers??

Alej_andr0

Hello all, 

First post and question. wanted to know if anybody knows what the difference is between the 1986-1987 rear calipers from the maxima and 1988 model year. the Chassis appears to be the same. i do see that part#'s are different if you try to buy them on Rockauto for example. all of the articles that i have seen reference 86-87 calipers for the 510 conversions. did Nissan make a significant change in 1988, the last model year for this chassis? Is the change in size and dimension of the discs or mounting points making unusable with the custom caliper bracket adapters? I ask because i have access to purchase a set of 88 calipers, but no 86-87 calipers. any help would be appreciated.

Thank you

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Rockauto is a great resource for that kind of info.  When you look up the '87 caliper, click on the blue part number for the part and it will give you a list of the other vehicles that part is used for.  It may show that caliper is used for all those years.....if not, you can check the pictures of the parts to see if you can notice the differences.

• Like 1

This is just an opinion and guess ... I was bored and looked them up....

To me it looks like the caliper is the same but the bracket is different...

I dont remember which is which but if you look at the bracket the bolt location is slightly different....

I dont think it would fit a premade bracket setup to use 86-87......

Screenshot_20210805-164049_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20210805-164106_Chrome.jpg

• Like 1

The caliper axle mounts are the same all years. (so the bolt holes must be in the same position)

The Nissan replacement pads superseded to newer numbers but are the same.

The rotor and the calipers for the '88 have a radically different part numbers. Neither show a Nissan supersedence to the newer number from the older one. The caliper internal piston assys are the same all years.  

I think the caliper casting changed shape but still bolts to the same caliper mount, uses the same e brake cable, uses the same internal brake parts. For some other reason the rotor also changed (I thought maybe they went to 5 lug? but can't find any evidence for this) 

• Like 2

From what Mike said I believe hes right that they will bolt up to the brackets.... I think the rotor will become the issue.... look at this view of the bolt pattern, not left to right but up and down.....

The 87 calipers are the top ones in both my posts, the 88 seems closer to the center.... 

Screenshot_20210805-173408_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20210805-173425_Chrome.jpg

• Like 1

Shop around for "new" brakes, new including Reman, old new stock, etc. Critical parts like brakes should be rebuilt, before installing, if acquired used. It is not an overly difficult process, but if you haven't done it, and are not a monk, I see frustration in your future. Also, check the price for the parts recommended replaced in a rebuild, they might be unavailable or cost prohibitive, I have purchased junkyard brakes and after rebuilding the savings was slim to none. Depending on your location and the part, $15 dollar brakes can be used as cores to get more than $15 dollars of a new set of brakes. Final advice, that as always, is worth what you paid for it, double check the parking brake and your need for one. Parking brakes use many methods, and some of those methods are integrated into the brakes.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, frankendat said:

Shop around for "new" brakes, new including Reman, old new stock, etc. Critical parts like brakes should be rebuilt, before installing, if acquired used. It is not an overly difficult process, but if you haven't done it, and are not a monk, I see frustration in your future. Also, check the price for the parts recommended replaced in a rebuild, they might be unavailable or cost prohibitive, I have purchased junkyard brakes and after rebuilding the savings was slim to none. Depending on your location and the part, $15 dollar brakes can be used as cores to get more than $15 dollars of a new set of brakes. Final advice, that as always, is worth what you paid for it, double check the parking brake and your need for one. Parking brakes use many methods, and some of those methods are integrated into the brakes.

Well noted on the small to zero cost difference between the junkyard pieces + rebuild cost and re-manufactured ones. I can't seem to find a new or Re-manufactured set of 82-83 200sx or 86-87 Maxima calipers. It seems there are plenty of Right rear re-maned calipers, but no Lefts to be found, they are out of stock everywhere I look. you can however find both rears for the model year 1988.

I didn't want to be out the full re-manufactured price on a "might work" situation, so did end up going to the junkyard and picked them up 😁. Total for both with brackets and hardware was $88. The plan is of course to rebuild if they end up working with some other Rotor. Should i measure the distance on the bracket from the hub mounting point to the caliper mounting point to compare to the 86-87 measurement? I would think this would give the rotor size difference, no?

I figured it was a small price to pay even if they didn't end up working we'd learn something new. If they do end up working with a different rotor, then we all have a new option. it will be a while before i can get an answer as i don't have any of the custom mounting brackets. when I do I'll update here. Thanks all for helping a 510 newb.

so combing through Rock auto some more it seams that the rotor on the 88' shrunk form 11.215" OD to 10.160'. OD. The Rotors suggested in all the Rear conversion article say to use the 200sx Rotor which on RockAuto show as 10.150" OD. So in order to get the 88 calipers/brackets to work I'd need to find a Rotor that is 1.055" smaller than even the 200sx rotor I'd imagine. does such a Rotor exist in our bolt pattern?

On 8/5/2021 at 7:30 PM, Alej_andr0 said:

so combing through Rock auto some more it seams that the rotor on the 88' shrunk form 11.215" OD to 10.160'. OD. The Rotors suggested in all the Rear conversion article say to use the 200sx Rotor which on RockAuto show as 10.150" OD. So in order to get the 88 calipers/brackets to work I'd need to find a Rotor that is 1.055" smaller than even the 200sx rotor I'd imagine. does such a Rotor exist in our bolt pattern?

I am not sure, if your rotors will work, but your research about different rotors is a very good idea. I found rotors for my Mitsubishi brakes by searching, for bolt pattern, thickness, and rotor hat dimensions and removing search requests that included, specific brand name, I discovered rotors for less than $20 a rotor and purchased 2 sets.