620 stock exhaust y-pipe

Interesting about the British cars.  Studebaker used brass nuts.  They didn't solve the problem but I don't think I had the oxy-acetylene rig when trying to loosen them in high school.  Don't know any trick getting brass nuts off.  My guess would be heat and use paraffin. Other than that.... (crickets.)

NEW THOUGHT:  Use Teflon Dry Lube as Penetrating oil:  I really don't think it does anything to actually break the rust crystals free, but once they do break it definitely improves things.

But I was thinking to penetrate, you need low viscosity.  And what lower viscosity then  Teflon Dry Lube.  That stuff has the viscosity of carb cleaner and the stuff is amazing.  It looks like carb clean but that miniscule amount of suspended Teflon has a fantastic amount of "slipperyness."

I would like to see how it stacks up as a penetrating oil.  It is possible the "bits" of Teflon may act like stop leak and plug up the pores where a simple fluid could flow into.

Still, would be an interesting experiment....   

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I thought I came across something that mentioned me in here.....don't have time to scan completely through it.  I see that it's about exhaust downpipes.  I recently ordered in ten 3/8" steel flanges.  I've finished prepping what's left and they're ready to go.  They're not cheap....prices on everything has gone way up since the last time I did any of these.  There's never been enough demand for me to want to shell out $400-500 for another order. lol

If you're looking for stainless, Adam may still have a couple.  Msg me if you want to know the price on mine.  I have no clue on Adam's.

http://www.bluehandsinc.com/store/p4/L-Series(4_cyl)_Exh_Downpipe_Flange_3%2F8"_Mild_Steel_________________________________.html

• Like 2