Introduction to myself and my '70 521

bims

Hello Ratsun members!

I've been a lurker for a year or so but haven't been a member of a forum for ages. I live in Everett, Washington with my girlfriend and bought my 1970 521 in June of 2020. I've been addressing its issues at a snail's pace as this is my first project car, and I am hoping to take my skills beyond the beginner level. Some of my experience is lacking, so I don't always know the proper names of parts or tools, or how to complete every test or task. I love this truck! I am thrilled by the idea of getting to know every inch of it by working on it myself. 

Some info about me: I'm 33 years old and am an artist, graphic designer, mold maker, and am employed as an Assembly and CNC Technician for Common Fibers, a carbon fiber fabrication shop located in Seattle. We're currently working with SSC on their Tuatara, Tuatara Aggressor, and Tuatara Striker cars which is very exciting to be a part of. I have access to spare parts and seconds from many makes and models that I plan on modifying to fit my truck, as well as some custom parts I want to make, like a rollpan bumper, and I will be posting about these projects as they come along. I also plan on molding some of the more aesthetic pieces, and I will make posts about these in case there is a need or desire for them.

Here are some parts I plan on molding: 

- glove box interior
- glove box door knob

- tray panel
- tray frame
- light knob (ingraved, set of 4)
- "D" hood emblem
- "Datsun 1600" fender badge

For the curious, it was purchased with an L16 with a 4 speed, a Weber 32/36 carb, and D4K matchbox electronic distributor. I recently replaced the fuel pump with one I purchased from Datsun Garage. I plan on replacing the ignition coil and distributor rotor and cap next. I think I need to rebuild the carb as I don't see fuel in the bowl and it doesn't start (also the reason for the distributor work). Other plans for the truck are replacing the tank with a fuel cell, a front disc conversion, and potentially a K24A swap. I also plan on converting the currently installed 620 bench seat to 2 buckets with a custom designed console that will hopefully include a stereo system. It is not currently in a running state, so I am prioritizing the work that will get it running. I know it will also potentially need engine work, like timing and rebuilding valves and such, but those I hope are not something I need to learn to tackle right away. 

This feels like its getting long, so I'll wrap it up. I'm excited to be part of the Datsun community, and am looking forward to interacting with fellow Ratsun members. Im also exceedingly grateful for all of the information housed on this forum and for all of the contributions by current and past members. I hope I can bring something useful to the discussion. Let me know if you have questions about myself, my job, or the truck of course. 

Thanks,

bims

• Like 3
  • Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Welcome!  Here are so threads and links that might interest you for your 521 and parts for the 521.

http://www.bluehandsinc.com/

https://ratsun.net/topic/78358-521-part-repopping-saga/page/3/?tab=comments#comment-1702141

Both are Ratsun members

Edited by Charlie69
  • Like 1
1 hour ago, d.p said:

A lot of that stuff you listed has already been made so YMMV.  Welcome though. 

Even though extremely rare, I agree with you on this.

41 minutes ago, thisismatt said:

Yeah, but not always readily available.

And how many people are looking for these parts again, You ? There is only a handful of people that want them and with the initial buy in, not soon after it starts, its over.

But I appreciate capitalism so go for it. Maybe see what other people are not making and I don't know be different for once and make those items. If its a hobby and you enjoy it do it, if your trying to support your living to get off the welfare system then I think it won't work, just my 3 cents.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Cap, rotor and wires age and/or wear out, but not the coil. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. The replacement almost certainly will be of an inferior quality than the original Nissan part. This is true of almost all after market parts so keep that in mind when replacing things. Here's another tip... NEVER throw away a part. There is almost always something in or on it that can be used. My 710 came with a crappy after market fuel pump. The original Hitachi was in the back so i put it back on and have been driving it for almost 10 years. I don't understand most owners.

Find a way to make flexible window gaskets and the world is your oyster.

• Like 1