How do i test for power at wiper motor??

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Any time the ignition is on there is a power lead to the motor. The power is used to park the wiper when the switch is turned off. The wiper switch simply provides a ground for the already powered motor. 

As a rule the Blue/Red stripe has constant power when ignition on even if the wiper switch is off.

ok.. so what do i do..? undo the tape around wires going to the plug.. find blue/red and see if there is power there?  - what if there is no power there?

i was getting a clicking before, but after i took motor off and worked on it there rested it on hood and tested it..  - it would click once then stop...

also the washer clicked before now it only clicks once then stops..

im looking for the old honda wiper motor...

Pull the harness plug away from the wiper motor. Turn wiper and ignition on. Test the harness end Blue/Red wire for power.

No power means the fuse is probably blown. Is there anything else that electrically does not work? They may also be on that fuse.

The washer is just a pump. It should whine slightly and water squirt out the hoses.

On 7/30/2021 at 12:05 PM, datzenmike said:

Any time the ignition is on there is a power lead to the motor. The power is used to park the wiper when the switch is turned off. The wiper switch simply provides a ground for the already powered motor. 

As a rule the Blue/Red stripe has constant power when ignition on even if the wiper switch is off.

Power goes through one of the motor windings and out one of the black wires to ground at the wiper speed switch. To go faster a second motor winding is grounded by the wiper switch and for high speed all 3 windings are grounded. I'm guessing here.

On 7/31/2021 at 2:23 PM, shawninvancouver said:

yes i got that blue red with power... but will there ever be any other with power? a pal said all other wires are grounds...

Blue/Red power. Try grounding each of the other black wires.

Well...that's hard to follow 😅  Can you add a picture of the harness plug with wire colors visible?

From what I gather you should have:

Blue/red stripe = switched +12V power

Yellow = intermittent amplifier switched ground

Black = dedicated ground

Blue/white stripe = grounded by wiper switch in every position except off

Blue/yellow stripe = grounded along with blue/white stripe in high position

Solid blue = grounded along with blue/white stripe in low position; connected to LY of intermittent amplifier in intermittent position; connected to LY of intermittent amplifier in off position

I don't know what's going on inside the intermittent amplifier box, though.  I would think the motor would run with...

Blue/red stripe = +12V power

Black = grounded

Blue = grounded along with blue/white stripe

IMG_20150611_211113_zpsqvvgvakl.jpg.205799aa0f34d8ae23b1b458f4b3eccf.jpg