Run on fuel vapors?

Has anybody ever tried creating a system that could run an L-series on fuel vapor alone? I’ve seen some YouTube setups, and have read about numerous inventions that were snuffed out. 
Seems like an efficient way to go if certain safety measures were involved. 

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Name a location and I can move it.

Mickey Thompson allegedly got huge HP numbers and gas mileage from his set up. The vapors are very hot so a turbo is used to cram it in I think. The problem is cold start up. Once running you have a heat source but how to get this engine running on fumes on cold days and easily and reliably are the thing. As always I'm rather skeptical that it doesn't exactly live up the the hype. There are lots of inventors and innovators no longer around that can prove it Tesla, Edison, Smokey Unick. Legends are based on fact but the legend just gets bigger and bigger with the telling.

What is attainable is the full evaporation of the gasoline. That's got to be worth something over carburetors or EFI.

edit: There is something called the Pogue 'carburetor'.

If you could pre heat the fuel on a cold day, or have an injector throttle in some extra fuel when cold......

a reliable set up would require some vast ingenuity to run in my type of climate. 

I had an idea on this after thinking for a few days. You could probably tee off your fuel line into a container and vent that into the pcv or unmetered into the intake manifold directly with some sort of back flash screen. 
 Of course I have other issues to tackle on my 620 currently before taking on any tinkering projects, I think this could be a way. 

Years ago I ran across an industrial engine that had a small carb in front of a 12 volt heating unit that ran hot enough to vaporize the gasoline that the air intake pulled in through the carb.  The carb was no larger than the mower carbs I work on today.  The heating unit had elements heating opposed screens.  It ran at 2500 RPM all day on 2 gallons of gas.

3 hours ago, thisismatt said:

What's the ultimate goal? What about running LPG? 

Fuel mileage of course, and to prove it can be done, because it’s how it SHOULD be done. Besides I’m a nerd and this blows my mind. Gas vapors burn, liquid gas does not. The additives in today’s fuel may not let this method work for long though. Propane? Sure. 

2 hours ago, jagman said:

Years ago I ran across an industrial engine that had a small carb in front of a 12 volt heating unit that ran hot enough to vaporize the gasoline that the air intake pulled in through the carb.  The carb was no larger than the mower carbs I work on today.  The heating unit had elements heating opposed screens.  It ran at 2500 RPM all day on 2 gallons of gas.

yes that’s the principle idea, or thermal catalytic cracking, vaporize the gas so the carb pulls in a vapor not the liquid. There is no longer a need for a big carb, hence the small one. It’s a world saving idea long suppressed. Think about the emissions that aren’t in the equation. However big oil companies lose money so.....

On 7/29/2021 at 1:40 PM, J's 620 said:

I’ve heard of the pogue.....it’s why I started this conversation. 

you know I’m not sure “where” to move this to......

General Technical???

Look up Mickey Thompson. Smokey Unick, he had a hot vapor set up. https://www.motortrend.com/how-to/hrdp-1009-what-ever-happened-to-smokeys-hot-vapor-engine/

diagram

Just now, datzenmike said:

General Technical???

Look up Mickey Thompson. Smokey Unick, he had a hot vapor set up. https://www.motortrend.com/how-to/hrdp-1009-what-ever-happened-to-smokeys-hot-vapor-engine/

diagram

Yeah that’s a good diagram there. When he died he took some key secrets with him to the grave. 

Like I said dead inventors are always credited with amazing discoveries that aren't around (if they were THAT good where are they????) or unproven. This would be great on stationery engines for generators but for the family car.... forget it. People, me included, want something you turn the key and go in any weather.

1 hour ago, datzenmike said:

Like I said dead inventors are always credited with amazing discoveries that aren't around (if they were THAT good where are they????) or unproven. This would be great on stationery engines for generators but for the family car.... forget it. People, me included, want something you turn the key and go in any weather.

Oh I agree about the car or family vehicle being turn key ready to go. 
 On the dead inventors, think about what and who, more importantly they stood against with these inventions. They were bought out or sabotaged. These things did work but like many of us they lacked the finances to make it happen. 
 When I started this thread I didn’t realize that most of these individuals experimenting with the hot air induction or fuel vapor system got it to work for a short period of time. The leaded gasoline, and the additives in fuel today eventually render this vaporization process useless and the mileage reverts back. Big oil companies bought the patents to these “supercarbs”. The early success was on pure gas or white gas as well. 

It’s all a what if,food for thought, and have you done it?? maybe a fun project on the said stationary machines, lawnmowers, and snow blowers. 

Edited by J's 620

Some early cars had a priming system that consisted of a cup and valve.  On cold mornings you dripped a little gas into the priming cup, opened and closed the valve to let the gas into the cylinder grabbed the starter handle and she would fire right up.  After the engine warmed up you could also add water to each cylinder to give the engine more power.  Early 30's.