Duncan's (sort of) project - 1940 Ford

Posted (edited)

Finished up my driver's side kick panel this weekend.  I did it the first time, then realized I forgot the courtesy light goes in it, and I wasn't really happy with it anyway.

Second attempt was much better..

What really sucks is that my old-ass air compressor finally died.  I have been nursing it along for a few years now, and it finally completely seized up.  The pump on it developed what sounded like a rod knock.  I shut it down and next day, and it wouldn't budge. It's completely seized.  Oh well.  I got one helluva lot of use out of it, and it worked well for a lot of years..

I'm looking through Craigslist to pickup a used 20-30 gallon unit just to use until I find a replacement.  I'm dead in the water until I get a replacement..

kikpnl.jpg

Edited by Duncan
  • Like 1
  • Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

25 minutes ago, Duncan said:

What really sucks is that my old-ass air compressor finally died.  I have been nursing it along for a few years now, and it finally completely seized up.  The pump on it developed what sounded like a rod knock.  I shut it down and next day, and it wouldn't budge. It's completely seized.  Oh well.  I got one helluva lot of use out of it, and it worked well for a lot of years..

I'm looking through Craigslist to pickup a used 20-30 gallon unit just to use until I find a replacement.  I'm dead in the water until I get a replacement..

Harbor Freight sells a few of them?

483449959_Screenshot2022-03-29140033.jpg.8d11b9e6d918e8357a8ce3ce8375b1b4.jpg

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, datsunfreak said:

Harbor Freight sells a few of them?

Yeah, I have seen them.  However, my compressor is old and I've replaced parts that were leaking.  Whenever I did that, seems like something else went bad, and a new leak would show up again.  It's about 25-ish years old and I think it's time to let it go..

My friend in San Diego has a big compressor at the shop and he put a HF motor in it.  It works, but when I told him I was going to pull off the 6.5hp motor on mine and give it to him, he is very anxious to get it..

I have a couple of very expensive guitars that are going up for sale soon, so it won't hurt so bad to spend $1k or so on a new compressor..

Edited by Duncan
  • Like 1
10 hours ago, paradime said:

Totally gob smacked, what a bad ass Ford you got there. Dripping with style bro.

Thanks for the kind words.  I've always wanted a 2-door Coupe or possibly a sedan delivery from this era, so this is a wish come true for me..

• 3 weeks later...
Posted (edited)

I looked for a bit, and finally picked up a used (yet brand new) compressor at a really great price.  I actually paid the guy's asking price because I thought it was actually too cheap! It's a 30 gallon oil-free unit that fills my needs pretty nicely for now.

I can paint parts and spray glue with my big gun, but no cars at this time.  I don't know about most folks, but after having a compressor for years, it's damn hard to go without one for a while..

comprssr.jpg

Edited by Duncan
11 hours ago, Duncan said:

I don't know about most folks, but after having a compressor for years, it's damn hard to go without one for a while..  

I don't use mine much, but would be pissed if I didn't have one...  😄

• Like 2
1 hour ago, datsunfreak said:

I don't use mine much, but would be pissed if I didn't have one...  😄

My neighbors would be pissed, because they mostly come to me for air in their tires.  I consider it a small price to pay because I play guitar loudly, and I illegally paint stuff in my garage.

All without them complaining..

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • 2 weeks later...
Posted (edited)

Finally got all the tweed stuff out of the car.  It's not perfect, but it's not awful, either.  I may slap the seat in, and take a week or two off before I redo the carpet.

I'm a bit burned out on doing upholstery, and I need to rip out all the old stuff they used on the floor.  It's actually insulation that is intended for construction use.  I don't understand why they used it, but it looks like it's easily removed.  I used something similar to Dynamat in my wagon, and will probably use the same here..

rearuphl.JPG

doorkik.JPG

I can't figure out why the bottom of the door armrest looks so ratty in the photo.  It's fine in person, really....

Edited by Duncan
  • Like 1
Posted (edited)

Got delivery of my insulation yesterday, so I started installing it today.  Seems like I just did this on my wagon. although I know it's been a while.  I will say this car is much easier to do than the wagon, and it should go much quicker.  

Started at the back, and got about 1/3 or maybe a little more done. 

insul1.JPG

insul2.JPG

Just for the LULz, here's a photo of the factory Henry Ford original wooden toe boards.  All the reddish stuff that is smattered about is actually old glue from the previous carpet install.  (It sort of looks like surface rust) The previous upholsterer over-glued the shit out of it, and it was quite the job to get the old carpet, padding, and insulation out.

I'm using some glue as well, but substantially less, thank you...

Edited by Duncan
  • Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
Posted (edited)

mmmm...carpet

interior.JPG.db1070f28bf750f78118fa8895b7eda4.JPG

I need to sew a heel pad onto the driver's side floor and glue it down.  Should wrap it up tomorrow. 

Seems like I been working on this interior thing forever.  I'm new at it, so I've been going slow trying to minimize mistakes.

Edited by Duncan
  • Like 3