Air Hammer Advice?

So on a trip a few weeks ago I had a trailer rim come loose and destroy the lugs on the hub. I was in BFE Maine and the chance of finding a new loaded hub was zero. There was a napa nearby and they did have new lugs. I ended behind the counter in their shop section while giving the lugs hell with a 3lb hammer. No go. So I carried my hub across the street to an auto repair shop (small town easy walk to everything). The shop owner was busy but he dropped what he was doing, took my hub and popped the old studs out and slammed the new ones in with air hammer in about a minute. I was in love! Not with the shop owner but that air hammer, sure made short work of those studs I couldn't touch with the BFH. Sooo I only want to buy once but I am cheap so I am looking for a recommendation on the best bang for the buck here.

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

You're right to call it a hammer at 3 pounds. Best bang for the buck is a 4 pound sledge with shortened handle for close in work. One pound makes a huge difference in hitting power!!! I made mine from a broken throw away 4 pound sledge fitted with a shortened handle. A 6 will also work but hard to get it moving unless a long handle. I've never failed to get the job done or break the shit out of anything with my 4 pounder. Does not require electricity or compressed air. Anything more, I have a long handle 8 pound sledge.

gvGrVuY.jpg

Air hammers are great, Harbor Freight has one that used to show up on their coupons for as low as $8, even at their regular prices they're well worth it.

Not only for driving things in and out, but if you have a puller on something so tight that you're afraid that your just about to pull the threads out, a few blasts with a dulled chisel on the hub will usually pop it loose with no damage.

• Like 2

Thanks. That is what I was asking I will pick one up. The upper pin I broke loose with a heavy duty ball joint press and did the exact method like you said. Crank until you think the threads might strip then hit with a hammer. I always use that method when pulling inboard props. It just needs a little vibration to get things moving. The bottom pin is too wide for the press and there is no swinging a hammer that close. Will get an air hammer and give it a go.

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

I hate to be that guy, but I’ve ran many different brands and the only two I was ever impressed with were an older Mac and Snap-On. The new Snap-On’s sound like a fucking Mac10 machine pistol, my boss gets pissed when I light fools up like a gang banger, lol. 

• Like 1

So I picked up the medium barrel harbor freight job and some extra accessory chisels. I drilled a divot in the center of the pin and heated the aluminum with a propane torch. The air hammer mushroomed the tip of the pointed pin that fits in the air hammer and that's as far as I got. This shit ain't moving. I decided to replace the hydraulic seals with the trim unit in place. I was hoping for a cheap majic solution. I am sure I can use this in other applications but will keep an eye out for a used mac. Thanks Dolmite.