Datsun 620 differential

Iv recently taken out my 3rd member from my datsun 620. I took it to a shop and they want 1200 to replace the bearings. Can anybody help me with the bearing overhaul.  The shop disassembled it and not sure how to reassemble it. Anyone know of a 620 manual that breaks down the reassembly 

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Crooks. Did you tell them you don't know much about cars, cause that's like handing over your wallet. First thing is get your parts out of there to somewhere safe and in your control. 

Unless you ran it out of oil they are pretty much indestructible. So why is it at a shop? What was wrong?

How freely should the bearing spin? They spin for about a second or 2 maybe I'm thinking about just putting the ones they took out back in. Also I was looking at the manual and it shows 2 drive pinion bearing adjuster. They shop gave my parts back and I only have 1 on the bottom bearing the one on the top that goes above the drive pinion spacer is not there. Is it sapposed to be or is it differential specific?

It should spin smooth and evenly. Rollers and races should be mirror smooth. Any question and they should be replaced.

A tapered roller bearing on each side of the ring gear and two on the pinion for 4 total.

My question was about the drive pinion spacer or the washer there is one on top of the inner bearing but shouldn't there be one also at the top of the spacer under the outer bearing? Should there be two washers for pinion preload  

The innermost washer sets the depth of the pinion on the ring gear. Towards the driveshaft from it is the rear bearing then a crushable bearing spacer (looks like a piece of pipe) a washer to set/adjust the 'crush' then the outer bearing and last the washer and pinion nut.

If there's any wear it's likely the bearings. If the inner and outer pinion bearings are replaced the crush spacer is supposed to be replaced but if the pinion nut is tightened to the minimum torque (100-123) and the seal removed, the torque to turn the differential should be 10-12 inch pounds. 

You can compare part numbers here...

https://www.carpartsmanual.com/datsun/pickup-1972-1979/power-train/differential/from-oct-73

And you might get lucky getting the parts you need here....

https://www.nissanpartsdeal.com/parts-list/1980-nissan-720_pickup/power_train/rear_final_drive.html

The differentials are pretty much the same.... I used parts from the early 720 for my 521... just need to crosscheck the numbers.... usually you'll see replaced by and eventually it should lead you to the 720 part number that would work...

• 2 weeks later...