Worth saving?

I came across this find last week, first glace thought I'd located a Datsun Roadster so I had to take a better look.

IMG_7606.thumb.jpg.631d7cd8946fa9b0b1d1290ccca3c56a.jpg IMG_7608.thumb.jpg.6bfe0b5d583e506e00dfef238763dd60.jpg

Obviously NOT a Datsun Roadster, but certainly similar. All the glass is there and windows are rolled up, plus it has a removeable hardtop. I believe that has a factory flip front end, note the pull on the top of the hood.

Your mission if you decide to accept it, is first identify what it is, then if you have the gonads to take on this project, let the force be with you!

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, datsunfreak said:

Triumph was oddly quite keen on them in this era...

All of the Heralds in the 60s had them...

800px-Triumph_Herald_1250_(1).jpg

And their sports cars of the early 60s had sort of baby ones...

From that rear shot, it looks very Anglia-ish to me.   It's a cool looking little two door!

Edited by Duncan

When I was in college a friend had a herald.  Within a year the rust became very apparent but before it could do irreparable damage we totaled it in a police station.  His father bought him another and we drilled about 30 holes in the body to let rain water drain.  It lasted him another two years before the rust became an issue.

Hyundai Pony, the BIC lighter of disposable cars. Three years old and fender wells chewed to fuck and blue cloud chasing you down the road. Hyundai is Korean? Toyotas were also bad I think this was because N AM sold them scrapped metals and they contained traces of copper, lead, zinc, aluminum or anything that can be found in a car any anything else that can be scrapped. Instead of pure iron ore they made steel with cancer nodes already in it. Early '70s Fords were bad too.  

Hyundai has turned around and make world quality cars today. But the Pony was a piece of shit.

1 hour ago, datzenmike said:

Hyundai Pony, the BIC lighter of disposable cars. Three years old and fender wells chewed to fuck and blue cloud chasing you down the road. Hyundai is Korean? Toyotas were also bad I think this was because N AM sold them scrapped metals and they contained traces of copper, lead, zinc, aluminum or anything that can be found in a car any anything else that can be scrapped. Instead of pure iron ore they made steel with cancer nodes already in it. Early '70s Fords were bad too.  

Hyundai has turned around and make world quality cars today. But the Pony was a piece of shit.

Hyundai/Kia definitely has come a long way. iIworked for a Hyundai dealership for a couple years, starting almost 10 years ago. My shifter handle in my truck is made of a 2.4L from a Sonata with 31,000 miles on it that was fairly new at the time. It's what's left of the upper rod of cylinder 4 that sheared off and exited the bottom of the block at 6,000 RPM, with the wrist pin pressed back in and a bolt pressed in to screw it on the shifter. "customer states: excessive engine noise"

20210819_175535.jpg

Edited by A guy named Rick
  • Haha 1

I don't want one. My wife has new Toyota Rav 4 so.... infrequently I drive that. Too many choices: heater/air con, left right, 7-8 fan speeds, comfort zones. Can't figure out the sound system so I just leave it off. There is no music anymore. Runs on battery and engine for added power. Coasting generates power back into the battery so the last 6 blocks home the engine is off. Engine kicks in seamlessly and moves the car plus charge the battery, can't see how that works. Is it an automatic or like a diesel/electric train or a bit of both? One time when the engine was off I managed to drive over a kilometer on the saved charge. In the morning it starts and moves off on battery and drives the 6 ish blocks up grade to the highway (unless you step into it) where the engine comes on.  

On 8/19/2021 at 5:48 PM, datzenmike said:

the Pony was a piece of shit

Oh absolutely it was.

On 8/19/2021 at 5:48 PM, datzenmike said:

the BIC lighter of disposable cars

LOL, like the first gen Honda Civics ever lasted more than 80,000km (50,000 miles). But reverse doughnuts were a blast!