Datsun 521 Project

Hey Guys, I just got a 1972 Datsun 521 and I have a few questions on some stuff that i'm trying to get working. Idk how to attach photos directly onto here so click the link to see photos of what i'm referring to.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1F7vzfCsH_4m_FxB9IHU0pdx_zNWSSIbOqiZDPEtDdZU/edit?usp=sharing

my first question, regarding the little quarter vent window: is the little button supposed to be able to be pressed in in order to open the window. Neither of my buttons on either side push in however my passenger side opens and closes just fine but on my drivers side, that latch that locks it in place will not move up enough to get the little window cracked. I was wondering what could be causing this?

My next question is regarding the windshield wipers and if they are supposed to wipe the window in the traditional way a modern car does, meaning moving across the windshield in the same direction or if the wipers move inward towards each as mine are doing? 

Last one for now is if you guys know anywhere I would possibly be able to get this spring for this door lock piece, as my drivers side door doesn't have it, causing my door not to lock, or if I would just have to find one by finding someone who is parting out a truck.Thanks!

• Like 1
  • Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Buttons should push in to unlock the vent windows. Try WD-40 if stuck in or unlocked.

Wiper arms move together in the same direction. Wiper arms would have to be mounted farther apart so their tips meet if they were to meet in the middle. The '68 510 car is this way.

jBeu1tnHGQuXQ22HKuXME6LgGhouYlYcEQDbdBkI9dW2U5W9uhVGpwIlbbvNtt2aA6-QMY5QgG_soagduXlKPS2PmbcbMCISRpdBmTyN4FyQgDZus_gQf9LS1icpSVZ15bkDRKGi

Hardware or fastener store may have a collection of springs you could try. You can try an ad in out classified section but often keeping a classic on the road comes down to your own ingenuity.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, datzenmike said:

Buttons should push in to unlock the vent windows. Try WD-40 if stuck in or unlocked.

Wiper arms move together in the same direction. Wiper arms would have to be mounted farther apart so their tips meet if they were to meet in the middle. The '68 510 car is this way.

jBeu1tnHGQuXQ22HKuXME6LgGhouYlYcEQDbdBkI9dW2U5W9uhVGpwIlbbvNtt2aA6-QMY5QgG_soagduXlKPS2PmbcbMCISRpdBmTyN4FyQgDZus_gQf9LS1icpSVZ15bkDRKGi

Hardware or fastener store may have a collection of springs you could try. You can try an ad in out classified section but often keeping a classic on the road comes down to your own ingenuity.

thanks, appreciated!

• Like 1

I cleaned my engine bay yesterday and when I started it up after, the turn signals, and the fuel and temp gauges on the instrumental cluster no longer worked. I heard that these are wired to a gauge voltage regulator on the back of the instrument cluster, that is powered off a fuse. I want to check if I blew a fuse before changing the voltage reg. Is the location of this fuse in the box in the top left corner of the engine bay?

• Like 1

I don't know. What I do is hold a quarter across the fuse clips. When the radio comes on or the turn signals start flashing I know that's the problem fuse. Fuses don't blow from washing the engine but they might stop making good contact. Sometimes wiggling them into a new position will fix the problem.

• Like 2
14 hours ago, datzenmike said:

I don't know. What I do is hold a quarter across the fuse clips. When the radio comes on or the turn signals start flashing I know that's the problem fuse. Fuses don't blow from washing the engine but they might stop making good contact. Sometimes wiggling them into a new position will fix the problem.

got it thx

• Like 1

My emergency brake does not work because it appears that I am missing everything after the front cable. After ordering this part-https://docs.google.com/document/d/1F7vzfCsH_4m_FxB9IHU0pdx_zNWSSIbOqiZDPEtDdZU/edit?usp=sharing -  looking at the owners manual the previous owner gave me and looking under my car, I feel like that horseshoe piece that I have on my truck is not the same one in the diagrams I saw in the book. Even if it is, I feel like the 2 cables I ordered are lacking a cable to loop around that horse shoe piece... Any insight on this or other parts necessary for this job that you guys know of are appreciated!

• Like 1