Top Posters In This Topic

i do not own one but i have been told 

snap on very good 

Milwaukee also very good 

I have had good luck with dewalt tools but haven't used a battery impact yet  

Makita is also a very solid brand 

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, jbirds510 said:

Leaning toward dewalt cuz all my other stuff is dewalt 20V XR but Its not set in stone if theres a better option.

Unless you have other reason to roll into a new platform, the Dewalt will probably do fine.  One tool with different batteries is going to cost you more up front and seems wasteful to have those extra batteries nothing else uses, and only get used occasionally.  My 2¢

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • 3 weeks later...
On 7/17/2021 at 5:07 PM, jbirds510 said:

who uses them? Any good? best brand?

Milwaukee M series. I use mine everyday in a professional setting. My M12 (12v) stubby is much more powerful than my boss’s full size 18v Snap-On. I took my Snap-On mg series air impact home because there’s nothing it can do that my Milwaukee can’t. 

• Like 2
On 7/17/2021 at 5:10 PM, Ranman72 said:

i do not own one but i have been told 

snap on very good 

Milwaukee also very good 

I have had good luck with dewalt tools but haven't used a battery impact yet  

Makita is also a very solid brand 

Don’t ever buy Snap-On battery powered electric tools, they’re doo doo. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
On 7/17/2021 at 8:56 PM, jbirds510 said:

Leaning toward dewalt cuz all my other stuff is dewalt 20V XR but Its not set in stone if theres a better option.

I own both, Milwaukee 12v kills a DeWalt 20v. Keep an eye on Grainger, they run sales every so often. I got my M12 stubby with a 4ah battery for $192 in February. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Milwaukee M18 hammer drill is absolute total trash. Do no, I repeat DO NO buy this unless you buy it in person and are able to test it before buying. They have an issue with their 3 tooth chucks. It wobbles so bad, it's almost not usable. Not all of them are bad, but I'd say just over half of them are. I bought mine new in a kit. Pandemic, couldn't return locally. So I went the warranty repair route. Had it repaired, it took 3 months. When I took it in, the shop was like... just to warn you the new part may be just as bad. And guess what? It was!! So now I have a warranty repaired, basically brand new (since I never use the POS) hammer drill. 

Try using it with a hole saw... wobbles so much you get a free body massage. No happy ending though. 😞 

• Like 2

I have a Ryobi 18v.  I won it.  I use a H-fright 1/4 to 3/8" adapter.  9/16" is about it, as far as strength.  It will do a lug-nut....if you abuse it.  It is really above its strength level....but If you crack it, then it will do it. 

Today.....I used it today on a radiator.  I was worried about it.  It broke the 12mm bolts loose for the the hold down and I barely squeezed it for the 10mm bolts hold the fan in place.  I did not trust it to tighten either bolt.  But, I'd put Liquid Wrench on all the thread beforehand... they were finger loose.  I used it to bolt my vise to the bench, and afterwards, on half of the bolts, I could not get them any tighter w/a standard box wrench...and I leaned on the wrench.

It would not do a rusty 3/8 bolt...but, it wanted to twist it outa my hands.  I don't think that I wouldn't have been able to get it off  w/o leverage.  As it was, out and in, spray, out and in, spray, a few times and it came off.  The bolt had been in contact w/the ground, for years.

I have only had it a month, but so far, I don't think that it is great.

I second the buy one brand of tool, one type of battery/charger. 

I love my Dewalt 20V drill.  I just wish that I could find it.  It is great.  I could not imagine their impact not being great also. 

• Like 2
10 hours ago, Trophy24 said:

Wow that’s good to know! I have switched to Milwaukee from Dewalt in the last year or two. I will hold off on the hammer drill

yeah, if you need it make sure you can thoroughly test it at the store first. I have a bunch of other Milwaukee tools and they are all great. 

• Like 1

I have a Milwaukee M18 1/4" impact. The box says its a hydraulic driver, not sure what that means. I got a 9ah battery for it and it lasts a few days without charging. I need to pick up another smaller battery as a back up but the impact is pretty nice and is quieter than the dewalt impacts.

Ive had it since june(i think), use it all day to drive screws and bolts to put together and take apart garage doors. Only gripe sabout it is that the belt hook screw comes lose after awhile, and the vents are aimed right at your face when you drive straight up into drywall

• Like 1