Aluminum pulleys for L16-L20?

Does anyone know if theyve been made yet? Have a friend who is looking for one for the water pump and possibly the crank to dress up his engine a little bit. 

Or perhaps someone has cobbled something together? If not maybe I could find a shop willing to crank out 50 sets if the demand was good enough and the price was right for people to buy.

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Forget almost all L20B water pumps. The pulley is an integral part of the clutch fan and cannot be removed. Some L16/18s also have clutch fans

Forget the crank pulley. It's all one piece, has to push onto the crankshaft, have a slot for the woodruf keys and it rides against the front crank seal in the timing cover.

Don't fix what ain't broken.

• Like 1
19 hours ago, datzenmike said:

Forget almost all L20B water pumps. The pulley is an integral part of the clutch fan and cannot be removed.

I had no problems finding a rebuilt L20 water pump minus the clutch fan.  Rockauto has them listed with or without.

I also had a chrome(d) pulley for the water pump as well.    It was chromed when I bought it, otherwise I wouldn't have bothered. 

There's no difference between L16/18 and L20B as far as water pumps. I've never seen or heard of an L20B without a clutch fan. So if you found a water pump without a clutch/fan it's probably from an L16.

2 hours ago, datzenmike said:

There's no difference between L16/18 and L20B as far as water pumps. I've never seen or heard of an L20B without a clutch fan. So if you found a water pump without a clutch/fan it's probably from an L16.

Very possibly that's what I did.  I can't remember crap these days....

I think there was one 720 Z22 engine that didn't have a clutch fan but I can't be bothered.....

Clutch fans slip and don't allow the fan to spin faster than about 1,800 RPMs. The later ones have a thermostat that opens and lets more coupling fluid in and the rises to 2,400 RPM. Before the engine is warmed up you don't even need a fan. On the highway vehicle speed pushes air through the rad. Saves gas reduces fan noise.