1978 Datsun 620 distributor swap

My question is my 78 has a remote ignition control module on the passenger side kick panel . If I replace the factory electronic distributor which needs the ignition module with a matchbox distributor. what do I need to do to the control module in the cab ? Splice wires , unplug it ???

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Other than the obvious visual looks, the remote igniter and the matchbox are the same. The large bulky remote igniter box was simply miniaturized and mounted on the side of the distributor. 

You can just leave it plugged in, or unplug and remove it, leaving the wiring. The matchbox can just be installed and wired like this...

ZOkbBht.jpg

Ignore the 1.6 ohm coil. Use the '78 coil you already have.

• 3 weeks later...

Since the matchbox dizzy's are getting harder to find, we have recently started using the earlier "mag pick up" style dizzy's ie the 1978 620, replacing the big bulky remote ignition box with the Chevy HEI module..............work out great!  MSD sells their own high quality HEI module, but you can also buy cheap aftermarket, made at the Wuhan Labs in China!  You should also buy the OEM Chevy finned aluminum "base" that holds the HEI module.  The HEI module mounts to the finned base & keeps the module cool.