Tailgate hinge

Oilspot

So one hinge on my tailgate is pretty smashed. Just the piece that's attached to the bed (the tailgate itself was replaced at some point and the hinge piece on it is in good shape). I'd like to find the weld in replacement piece. 

I spotted a pair of nos hinges ($$$$), but really don't wanna spend all kinds money on this repair if I don't have to. 

But then again, I don't wanna pass up a impossible part to find and regret It down the road.  Are they available out there or should I jump on them? 

• Like 1
  • Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Put what truck you have in your profile and thee year, or say so in the title. Or tell me so I can change it. Having it in the title helps in the future when someone is looking for information on a hinge for a 521???

• Like 1
14 minutes ago, Oilspot said:

NE27nii.jpg

uqANf06.jpg

I just need the bed side. The tailgate was a replacement and has a straight hinge piece. 

That's looks like you should be able to just bend it back up and straight ...

I was wondering if they were still factory or modified.... I went out to my truck at work to look only to remember the bed is at home.....

• Like 2

Yeah I was already thinking of pulling the bumper and rear light so that I had a straight shot with a jack from underneath, heating it up with my torch. That's easy enough. 

But cutting off the distorted  unit and welding in a straight one would give it a way cleaner look once done.  The trucks pretty straight, and I'm wanting to make it as crisp as possible!!!! 

• Like 3
37 minutes ago, Oilspot said:

Yeah I was already thinking of pulling the bumper and rear light so that I had a straight shot with a jack from underneath, heating it up with my torch. That's easy enough. 

But cutting off the distorted  unit and welding in a straight one would give it a way cleaner look once done.  The trucks pretty straight, and I'm wanting to make it as crisp as possible!!!! 

I would try to fix it first, if the repair doesnt work source a replacement...

Beside when would you actually see it even if it wasnt perfect....

Unless your Mr. Bigtanker non of these truck are perfect even ones that are all original.... 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
15 minutes ago, Crashtd420 said:

I would try to fix it first, if the repair doesnt work source a replacement...

Beside when would you actually see it even if it wasnt perfect....

Unless your Mr. Bigtanker non of these truck are perfect even ones that are all original.... 

Yeah you've got a point. I do

plan to use this truck and drive it fairly often. 

• Like 3
47 minutes ago, Oilspot said:

Yeah you've got a point. I do

plan to use this truck and drive it fairly often. 

Trust me it's easy to go down the rabbit hole of money with these trucks.....

Fix what you need to enjoy it and fix what annoys you later..... 

Always better to fix while driving and enjoying it vs fixing while waiting to drive it.....

• Like 3