Transmission Identity

I have an 83 720 4x4, having to look for a transmission rebuild kit. I found a stamping on the side that says ZL71B #2. I assumed this was the transmission code but I am not sure. Did they only use one transmission in these trucks? If not where do i find the actual transmission code? Or am I just stupid and ZL71B is the actual transmission code?

• Like 1
  • Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Also do you have any recommendations on rebuild kits? my counter shaft bearing exploded and I was planning to just try to rebuild it/have it rebuilt while i have it out. However if I cant find the parts, which I am having some trouble with. I will just replace the counter shaft bearing and see how it goes.

• Like 1

Look for made in japan bearings, Nachi or Asin suppliers.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/282515928432?fits=Model%3A720|Make%3ANissan&hash=item41c742f570:g:P9EAAOSwgv5ZOZmY

https://www.allstategear.com/FS5W71-Nissan-720-Series-Truck-5Speed-Bearing-Kit-p/bk133ws.htm

You want a 56mm counter bearing. Most say 60mm (it's really 62mm and NOT what you want) They also say they are all FS5W71C when they are not. Yours is a FS5W71B

Perhaps this one. Correct years

https://jimsdrivetrain.com/shop/product/fs5w71-transmission-bearing-seal-kit-w-synchro-rings-nissan-200sx-280z-280zx-maxima-610-620-720-810-5-speed-manual-trans-usa-standard-gear-usa-standard-gear/

• Like 2

The 62mm counter was used in the FS5W71B on all '85 and up trucks. I would say that your transmission was replaced some time in the past.

Look at the shifter.... does it look like this. This style shift mechanism is the B in the FS5W71B

Ywqvd3K.jpg?1

This is an FS5W71C

XqguEnZ.jpg

• Like 2

First use of a 71C was the '84 300zx non turbo.

The 720 ended in '86.5 when the D21 Hardbody began. The '86.5 Hardbody has the 71C

One other car, the S12 200sx was produced from '84 through '88 and again the 71B stopped use at '86.5 and the 71C started and continued through '88.

Some parts makers call them Cs and near the end of the 71Bs they did sort of share some things like the upgraded 62mm counter bearing. But the shifter style is what makes it a B or a C.

• Like 1

The bearings and rings from a 71c rebuild kit will work in a 71b, with once exception. The main counter-shaft bearing (the one closest to the bell housing) in the 71b is smaller. I got around this by contacting the manufacturer directly and providing the size I needed and they just sent me one. 

I did find this on ebay

https://www.ebay.com/itm/133817432872?fits=Model%3A720|Make%3ADatsun&epid=16034268905&hash=item1f2823fb28:g:XKUAAOSwdHNeYwt5

Cobra transmission has what you need, if your willing to fight with their website. They were the only distributor I found that has the reverse gear kit for sale. They have good stuff over there. The reverse gear is sold as a 71c reverse gear kit but its the same for 71b.

Don't forget to grease the inside the seals when installing, I didn't my first time and they leaked. 

these videos are super helpful

• Like 1

We already discussed this. The 71B uses a 56mm and a 62mm counter shaft bearing same as the 71C. So the manufacturer is wrong.

The 71C also uses upgraded synchros and bearings to allow it to handle twice that the 71B will.

• Like 1

Just sharing my experience rebuilding the FS5W71B.

I used a FS5W71C rebuild kit, which replaced all bearings and rings, except for one bearing everything else fit. 

I looked back at my order, the part correct counter shaft bearing was 

63/22X Nachi Bearing 22x56x16 Open C3 Ball Bearings 19212

these are available through eBay and amazon

These are the parts I used to rebuild my FS5W71B transmission 7 years ago and it still runs perfectly. 

If you need any weird or unusual parts for this transmission, Nissanpartsdeal.com has some of the obscure parts. I ordered the oil channel from them when I broke it

• Like 1

Interesting. I'm sure the synchros in the C are upgraded over the B ones. So, different but compatible with the B. If your 720 was an '85 thee counter bearing would have fit as well. The C gears are also wider than the B and the synchro hubs narrower. I have a new Nachi 56mm counter bearing in my 5 speed. 

• Like 1

People don't really rebuild transmission anymore so the process of finding parts is always cryptic.

There is a wild chance that the C parts I bought were just mislabeled B parts, I've never had the pleasure of taking apart a FS5W71C, but so far all the kits I got labeled c worked. I don't know enough specifics to be certain just what I've been able to find that worked for my tranny.

I did look back at the ring kit I used and it specified the year 80-84, I don't know what year or application the C had so it could have been mislabeled or different. 

• Like 1

I have an '85 200sx 5 speed and although the gears look the same width as the 71B it does have the larger 62mm counter and the 1/2 shift rod is larger just like the C. 

Those thin clips sticking out of the synchro hub, below are not in the earlier 71Bs

lLiXFSh.jpg

Parts suppliers pretty much call anything with a 62mm counter a C it seems. Nissan uses the style of shifter to identify B from C

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...