70' 510 Seat belt installation

Labubre

Hi,

My 510 (1600sss) come from Portugal and it seems that seat belt were not mandatory at this time...

Feel just weird to drive the car without.

Does somebody know if the seat belt mount should be in place as per factory standard?

If can feel a circular shaped part when pressing the pillar on driver's & passenger's side.

See picture

No-Seat-Belt.jpg

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thank you guys!

Just realized that you both are from canada, hope you did not suffer too much about the "heat dome"

Guess worse was in your area Mike, right?

I felt an nut around here and will investigate more

Cool if i can make this as i feel unconfortable with it

No-Seat-Beltwith-Mark.jpg

18 hours ago, Labubre said:

Thank you guys!

Just realized that you both are from canada, hope you did not suffer too much about the "heat dome"

Guess worse was in your area Mike, right?

I felt an nut around here and will investigate more

Cool if i can make this as i feel unconfortable with it

No-Seat-Beltwith-Mark.jpg

Not sure if it’s the same on all 510’s.

That location has a hole there but no thread provision for a seat belt anchor. 

Some have welded in an aftermarket belt anchor at that location. Depending on how tall you are and how the belt sits across your shoulder and chest, it’s better suited for location of the belt going across your shoulder and not your neck. 

Some have said the B pillar wasn’t engineered for a belt anchor and doesn’t have the needed strengths for it. 

Don't know so use your own discretion for your car and your comfort level. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/12/2021 at 3:40 PM, grannyknot said:

My car is a 2 door and this is where the shoulder strap attaches, maybe someone with a 4dr can jump in here.

IMG_1253 (1024x768).jpg

The factory "captive nut" is located in the same place on the upper headliner rail for all 2dr 4dr & Wagon......the B pillar moved between the 2dr & the 4dr/Wagon, so it "appears" to be in a different place!  I bet ALL cars in all countries had the captive nuts, some simply did not use them.  Our USA spec cars have captive nuts on either side of the rear parcel/speaker shelf, but we never had mandatory REAR shoulder belts...........some countries did!

I don't like how high that factory captive nut is, how high the seat belt pivot is, cuz it causes the shoulder belt to run across the neck..........uncomfortable!  We modified two cars by welding a big nut about 4 inches down the B pillar, which lowers the seat belt pivot/mounting point, which lowers the seat belt on your neck.  Seatbeltplanet sells a seat belt "anchor" kit, which I believe can either be welded in OR bolted/riveted in...........?? 

You can "peel" the B pillar vinyl off to look at the pillar for ideas.  Pull the black vinyl door jamb "welting" away at the rear of the front door & the front of the rear door (🧐) & then carefully peel the vinyl.  You can also try to do the same with the headliner, to try to see the factory captive nut in the upper headliner rail, but it is usually too tight to be able to pull it back to see.  You do NOT want to cut a hole in your headliner, unless you are sure that you want to use the factory captive nut!!

• 2 months later...